sediment to a sink

Sediment modeling collaborators: issues, applications, information exchange

Moderators: arango, robertson, rsignell

antoinemarie

sediment to a sink

#1 Unread post by antoinemarie »

Hi ROMS users,

I try to create a sink with a netcdf forcing file. How can I include sediment in a sink? Because my sediment concentration varies with time. So I can not set a fixed value (0 for instance), otherwise the concentration blow-up.

Thank you in advance for your answers :)

Antoine

kate

Re: sediment to a sink

#2 Unread post by kate »

For the sources and sinks, there is an LtracerSrc with a value for each active and passive tracer. In the sediment.in, there are MUD_Ltsrc and SAND_Ltsrc for the sediment tracers.

Sinks behave better if you don't set any of the tracers on them, while sources behave better if you do set tracer values. If you only have sinks, set the switches all to false. If I had both, I'd probably hack the code for pointwise control.

antoinemarie

#3 Unread post by antoinemarie »

Thank you Kate for your answer

I have both source and sink, how can I hack the code? Moreover, I have the same problem with the temperature of my sink.

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

antoinemarie wrote:Moreover, I have the same problem with the temperature of my sink.
Of course you do. All sources without tracer values are using an unconditionally unstable downwind advection scheme. Ditto sinks with specified tracer values.
I have both source and sink, how can I hack the code?
First of all, search for the point source code in ROMS and figure out what's doing what.

1. I would add a logical array, dimensioned by the number of sources. Add the code to read it from ana_psource.h and/or from the sources file.
2. Use it per source instead of using LtracerSrc.

Note that you'll need to provide tracer values for all source/sinks for all tracers, but you'll only be using some of them.

antoinemarie

#5 Unread post by antoinemarie »

Thank you Kate for your advice, but it seems a little bit complicated for me, so I try another way.

Eventually, I have defined an open boundary with radiative conditions in my closed model, then I extend a row of my grid to this boundary to create a sink. But the volume conservation is not respected. I will try another simulation with a clamped conditions for zeta on the open boundary in order to force my model to keep his initial level.