Why can't the number of bed layers be set to be zero?

Sediment modeling collaborators: issues, applications, information exchange

Moderators: arango, robertson, rsignell

leon

#1 Unread post by leon »

Dear all.
Actually, when the number of layers (Nbed) is set to be zero, there is an error says that the Nbed can not be zero. I want to know why.
I want to see how the river sediments transport over continental shelves. If I set the Nbed to be nonzero, the sediment on the bed will be eroded. Then the suspended sediments won't be the pure river-derived sediments. And the river sediments distribution on continental shelves won't be so obvious. Actually, I want to get the suspended sediment concertration (SSC) of in order to see how the river sediments transport over continental shelves. But I'm confused about the Nbed problem.
Who knows how to solve this probelm and get the pure river sediments SSC over continental shelves?
What I did is setting Nbed to be 1, bed_thickness, bed_porosity and bed_biodiff to be zeros. Am I right?
I am appreciative for any suggestons~~ Thank you~~

jcwarner

Re: Why can't the number of bed layers be set to be zero?

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

There has to be at least one bed layer so that the sediment can settle onto the sea floor. So set Nbed = 1, and init the thickness =0. That is fine. I suggest you set porosity = 0.5, not 0. In the future the porosity will be computed by the model.
If you start the model with zero concentration in water column, and no sed in the bed, then all the sediment that comes in from the river will be trasnported around and you can see where it accumulates.

leon

Re: Why can't the number of bed layers be set to be zero?

#3 Unread post by leon »

jcwarner wrote:There has to be at least one bed layer so that the sediment can settle onto the sea floor. So set Nbed = 1, and init the thickness =0. That is fine. I suggest you set porosity = 0.5, not 0. In the future the porosity will be computed by the model.
If you start the model with zero concentration in water column, and no sed in the bed, then all the sediment that comes in from the river will be trasnported around and you can see where it accumulates.
thank you very much
one question is what you mean by saying ' In the future the porosity will be computed by the model.'

The bed_porosity is in the initial file, how does it be computed by the model in the future?