Initial nc file for adding sediment into Latte_c case

Sediment modeling collaborators: issues, applications, information exchange

Moderators: arango, robertson, rsignell

zangzhipeng

Initial nc file for adding sediment into Latte_c case

#1 Unread post by zangzhipeng »

Hi,
I am trying to add the sediment transport(including both suspended and bedload) into latte_c case to run the evolution of the bed.
I have defined the SUSPLOAD, BEDLOAD_MPM, and SED_MORPH options in the header file, when it load the initial file, it says' unable to find model variables: bath, bedload_Usand_01 and bedload_Vsand_01'.
I checked that there is no these three variables in the initial file. So how do i create an initial file? and how to include these three variables?
I also notice that in the initial file there is a variable named 'h', it means the bathymetry at the Rho-points. What the difference between 'h' and 'bath'.
thanks!

Zhipeng

jcwarner

Re: Initial nc file for adding sediment into Latte_c case

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

The variable 'h' is just the inital depths, and it does not change in time. When morphology is activated, the bathymetry can evolve so a new variable was created called 'bath' that can evolve in time. It may be nice to know the inital depths, so we decided not to alter 'h'. It appears that the code is looking for bath in the init file. This variable will have to be created and added to the init file.

For the bedload stuff: We had initially thought that the bedload arrays should be time dependent (i mean - we may need to know about it at the previous time step), so we may want to have more than 1 time level for those vars. The code has not evolved to utilize multiple time levels for bed load yet. But anyway, the init file wants to know these values.

Are you capable of creating 'bath' 'bedload_Usand_01' and 'bedload_Vsand_01' into the netcdf init file? I do not have the m files to do this, but it could be done quickly.
I think some others have done this, but they are not in right now. Let me ping on them when they arrive (or do you think you can do this yourself)?

-j

zangzhipeng

#3 Unread post by zangzhipeng »

Hi, jcwarner,
thanks for your reply.
I have been struggling in the initial file for a few weeks but still have no idea. The ROMS is quite a complicated system for some beginers just like me.
I am much grateful to you if you can help me on creating the initial file.

Thanks again!

Zhipeng

jcwarner

#5 Unread post by jcwarner »

i submitted ticket #323 to
1) eliminate the need for bedload vars from a restart file
2) allow a restart with morphology without var bath in the ini file.
Please keep watch when these changes are added and retry the code.
thanx
-john

jcwarner

#6 Unread post by jcwarner »

ok. i posted a ticket, but i do not think we need to make any changes. I can get the system to work correctly just the way it is.
If you compile with sed_morph (or bedload), and provide an init file that does not have bedload or bath, the system will start correctly. To do this, set nrrec = 0 (so it does not think that a restart is happening) and set the inii_file to be the netcdf file from the previous run. This worked for me, so perhaps i am not exactly clear what the problem is. Did you get this to work for you yet?
-j

zangzhipeng

#7 Unread post by zangzhipeng »

ok, thanks. I will try that.