With versions R224 and higher, MUD and SAND are treated differently. BEDLOAD for example, only works with SAND.
I found this out the hard way. I ran the TEST_HEAD test case supplied in the latest version of ROMS (rev 271), as this is the only test case where BEDLOAD (#define BEDLOAD_MPM) is turned on. But when I checked bedload_Umud_01 in ocean_his.nc, all the values were zero.
After struggling a bit, John Warner pointed out that that the bedload loop in the new sed_bedload.F routine now runs from
Code: Select all
I thus needed to modify the ocean_test_head.in file to set NCS=0, NNS=1, modify the sediment_test_head.in file to specify parameters for SAND instead of MUD, and also change the variable names from MUDFRAC_01 to SANDFRAC_01, MUD_01 to SAND_01, etc in the initialization NetCDF file test_head_ini.nc. Once I made these changes, the TEST_HEAD test case run with the R71 code (current trunk code) produced non-zero bedload values equivalent to versions prior to R224.
These modified input files for TEST_HEAD are at: http://coast-enviro.er.usgs.gov/models/ ... t_head.zip
if anyone is interested.