Ocean Modeling Discussion

ROMS/TOMS

Search for:
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:11 pm 

Hello all,

I'm not sure this is whether a bug or a particular issue with my enviroment or setup. Anyway, I think it's worth to report.

I have been running my ROMS IS4DVAR application for a while using revision 881.

Now I decided to test the new flag SINGLE_PRECISION of revision 928, which is available since this recent update https://www.myroms.org/projects/src/ticket/789.

I'm using Intel Fortran (IFORT) version 17.0.5 20170817, MPICH library and netCDF4.

However, compiler complains of conflictant declarations in "distribute.F" with the following message:

Code:
cd /home/users/tpdpbr/roms/projetos/4dvar/i4dvar.exp_01/t04/Build; /sw/apps/suse/mpi/intel/mvapich/2.2/bin/mpif90 -c -heap-arrays -fp-model precise -ip -O3 distribute.f90
distribute.f90(283): error #5286: Ambiguous generic interface MP_BCASTF: previously declared specific procedure MP_BCASTF_0DP is not distinguishable from this declaration. [MP_BCASTF_0D]
      SUBROUTINE mp_bcastf_0d (ng, model, A)
-----------------^
distribute.f90(353): error #5286: Ambiguous generic interface MP_BCASTF: previously declared specific procedure MP_BCASTF_1DP is not distinguishable from this declaration. [MP_BCASTF_1D]
      SUBROUTINE mp_bcastf_1d (ng, model, A)
-----------------^
distribute.f90(4364): error #5286: Ambiguous generic interface MP_REDUCE: previously declared specific procedure MP_REDUCE_0DP is not distinguishable from this declaration. [MP_REDUCE_0D]
      SUBROUTINE mp_reduce_0d (ng, model, Asize, A, op_handle)
-----------------^
distribute.f90(4468): error #5286: Ambiguous generic interface MP_REDUCE: previously declared specific procedure MP_REDUCE_1DP is not distinguishable from this declaration. [MP_REDUCE_1D]
      SUBROUTINE mp_reduce_1d (ng, model, Asize, A, op_handle)
-----------------^
compilation aborted for distribute.f90 (code 1)

I'm not very familiar to FORTRAN so forgive my ignorance but I can't see why the procedures are not distinguishable since the argument "A" of mp_bcastf_0dp and mp_bcastf_0d defined in distribute.F are actually of kind real with different precisions, being 'dp' and 'r8', respectively. This kinds are defined in mod_kinds.F as:
Code:
#ifdef ESMF_LIB
!!      integer, parameter :: i1b= ESMF_KIND_I1                !  8-bit
        integer, parameter :: i1b= SELECTED_INT_KIND(1)        !  8-bit
!!      integer, parameter :: i2b= ESMF_KIND_I2                !  8-bit
        integer, parameter :: i2b= SELECTED_INT_KIND(2)        !  8-bit
        integer, parameter :: i4b= ESMF_KIND_I4                ! 16-bit
        integer, parameter :: i8b= ESMF_KIND_I8                ! 32-bit
        integer, parameter :: c8 = SELECTED_REAL_KIND(6,30)    ! 32-bit
        integer, parameter :: dp = ESMF_KIND_R8                ! 64-bit
        integer, parameter :: r4 = ESMF_KIND_R4                ! 32-bit
# ifdef SINGLE_PRECISION
        integer, parameter :: r8 = ESMF_KIND_R4                ! 32-bit
# else
        integer, parameter :: r8 = ESMF_KIND_R8                ! 64-bit
# endif
#else
        integer, parameter :: i1b= SELECTED_INT_KIND(1)        !  8-bit
        integer, parameter :: i2b= SELECTED_INT_KIND(2)        !  8-bit
        integer, parameter :: i4b= SELECTED_INT_KIND(4)        ! 16-bit
        integer, parameter :: i8b= SELECTED_INT_KIND(8)        ! 32-bit
        integer, parameter :: c8 = SELECTED_REAL_KIND(6,30)    ! 32-bit
        integer, parameter :: dp = SELECTED_REAL_KIND(12,300)  ! 64-bit
        integer, parameter :: r4 = SELECTED_REAL_KIND(6,30)    ! 32-bit
# ifdef SINGLE_PRECISION
        integer, parameter :: r8 = SELECTED_REAL_KIND(6,30)    ! 32-bit
# else
        integer, parameter :: r8 = SELECTED_REAL_KIND(12,300)  ! 64-bit
# endif

Compiling with previous or newer versions of ifort (V15, V16, V18), pgi or gfortran raises identical errors.

I also tried to compile the WC13 test case with revision 928. It compiles fine without SINGLE_PRECISION, but fails the same way as with my application when the flag is activated.

I know this feature is quite recent, but has anybody already had an error similar to this?

If is there anything else I should check, like compiler flags or so, please let me know.

Any replies are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments:
sse.h [2.63 KiB]
Downloaded 5 times
Linux-ifort.mk [5.01 KiB]
Downloaded 3 times
compilation_log.txt [562.29 KiB]
Downloaded 5 times
build.bash [18.88 KiB]
Downloaded 3 times
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:11 pm 

Thank you for your report. I also faced with same situation as you mentioned and was about to report.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

You are doing something wrong or something is weird with the compiler. You need to read carefully the following :arrow: trac ticket. Notice that even if SINGLE_PRECISION is activated, there are several variables that are still in double precision (dp 64-bit kind parameter) and the r8 kind parameter is redefined to 32-bit floating point variables. Both dp and r8 kind parmeters are used in ROMS regardless if we run in single- or double-precision.

Quote:
distribute.f90(353): error #5286: Ambiguous generic interface MP_BCASTF: previously declared specific procedure MP_BCASTF_1DP is not distinguishable from this declaration. [MP_BCASTF_1D]

For some reason, your compiler cannot differentiate the module procedure between single- and double-precision, and that's what the error is telling you. I think that it does nothing to do with ROMS. The compiler says that dp and r8 parameters are the same on mod_kinds.F, which is not the case. So the module procedure in distribute.F doesn't know which routine to pick for mp_bcastf. It is that simple!

Code:
      INTERFACE mp_bcastf
# ifdef SINGLE_PRECISION
        MODULE PROCEDURE mp_bcastf_0dp   ! double-precision exchanges
        MODULE PROCEDURE mp_bcastf_1dp   ! double-precision exchanges
# endif
        MODULE PROCEDURE mp_bcastf_0d
        MODULE PROCEDURE mp_bcastf_1d
        MODULE PROCEDURE mp_bcastf_2d
        MODULE PROCEDURE mp_bcastf_3d
        MODULE PROCEDURE mp_bcastf_4d
      END INTERFACE mp_bcastf

If the 1D variable argument to mp_bcastf is single precision, it will use routine mp_bcastf_1d in distribute.F. Contrarily, if it is double-precision it will use mp_bcastf_1dp instead. The compiler was not able to diferentiate!

I did run WC13 in single-precision (IS4DVAR and W4DPSAS) and it works for me. However, it is not recommended. We will work on a mixed precision 4D-Var driver next year. The inner loops can be in single-precision but the outer loops have to be in double-precision. It will require a scripted and split 4D-Var algorithm with two executables.

I just updated the code to correct a small bug when BGQC is activated. See :arrow: trac ticket.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:09 am 

Thank you for your answer Dr.Arango.
I've got more question.

You mentioned that

If the 1D variable arguement to mp_bcastf is singe precison, it will usee routine mpbcastf_1d in distribute.F.

But my understanding looking at the code is if the single precision is defined, ROMS will use mp_bacastf_1dp instead of mp_bcastf_1d.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Nope. What I said above is correct :!: If the last argument to the mp_bcastf routine is single- precision it will use mp_bcast_1d, and if it is double-precision it will use mp_bcastf_1dp. Just look the subroutines in distribute.F :idea: If you don't understard, you need to check a Fortran 1990, 1995, or 2003 standard manual for how interface or module procedure works.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:14 pm 

Thank you very much for the reply.
Quote:
You are doing something wrong or something is weird with the compiler. You need to read carefully the following :arrow: trac ticket. Notice that even if SINGLE_PRECISION is activated, there are several variables that are still in double precision (dp 64-bit kind parameter) and the r8 kind parameter is redefined to 32-bit floating point variables. Both dp and r8 kind parmeters are used in ROMS regardless if we run in single- or double-precision.

Indeed. I understand that. What intrigates me is that this issue happens across different systems and compilers, which forces me to perform a review of all the steps I'm taking for compiling, as you suggested. If I figure out what is going on here, I'll post again.
Quote:
For some reason, your compiler cannot differentiate the module procedure between single- and double-precision, and that's what the error is telling you. I think that it does nothing to do with ROMS.

In that case I apologize for submitting under the "ROMS Bugs" forum. Please feel free to move or archive this discussion.
Quote:
I did run WC13 in single-precision (IS4DVAR and W4DPSAS) and it works for me. However, it is not recommended...

Thank you for letting me know. I was looking for a way of reducing computational time of the assimilative run. On this regard, I was also advised to try the dual formulation methods of ROMS 4D-VAR module, which I have not done yet.