Abnormal in boundary

Discussions, suggestions and corrections to ROMS/TOMS documentation currently under developement.

Moderators: arango, robertson

LinShicheng

Abnormal in boundary

#1 Unread post by LinShicheng »

Hello, everyone.
I am a newcomer of ROMS and setting up a rough test case of Pacific. I made grid with a resolution of 1*1 degree, and I used WOA09 to make the initial field. The model currently ran for 2 years forced by bulk fluxes calculated by 2009-2010 NCEP reanalysis 1 data, and the boundary condiction files and climatology files was make by SODA_2.2.4 monthly data. My boundary was open in western, southern and northern boundary. All these input files were created by a MATLAB toolbox (ROMSTOOLS_v3.1.1_07_07_2014). It haven't blown up in running process.However, the results have some problems as following:
1.Both temperature, salinity, and sea surface height are abnormal at the boundary, especially south and north boundary;
2.Temperature was lower in general, and salinity was much higher, especially in the areas west of Peru;
I was puzzled for a long time, please help me and thanks in advence.
Attachments
result.pdf
(677.32 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
tropical_pacific_out.txt
(9.31 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
tropical_pacific.in
(109.28 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
tropical_pacific.h
(3.19 KiB) Downloaded 260 times

kate

Re: Abnormal in boundary

#2 Unread post by kate »

The people who run climate models at one degree resolution have spent *years* working on their solutions. ROMS was designed to be run at more eddy-resolving scales while the climate models have parameterizations to try to take care of what the eddies would be doing. Is one of your ovals on the equator? Perhaps that's correct for the equator. What is the purpose of this exercise? Perhaps you can find a CMIP run that does what you need, with global results ready for the download.

LinShicheng

Re: Abnormal in boundary

#3 Unread post by LinShicheng »

Thanks a lot,Kate.
I want to study the relationship between eddy activities and large-scale ENSO and their possible mechanisms, so I plan to make a grid to include these two areas. My origional idea is to make rough grid and I can run successfully, then I make eddy-resolution grid further, because my computing resource is limited. Finally, I will couple WRF in the future.
I supposed the boundary abnormal values was caused by my missing processes in .h or some wrong parameters in .in at the first time, and I checked with other Pacific cases, but the anomalies still existed.
And I ran a test with four closed boundaries, the anomalies were gone, but salinity was also higher.
I wonder if my boundary input files have some problems or the rough grid resolutions will lead to these abnormal phenomenon?