Diagnostics for temperature

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

logvinov

Diagnostics for temperature

#1 Unread post by logvinov »

Hi All,

I am having some trouble with using term diagnostics in the equation for temperature. In particular vertical and horizontal advection terms looks pretty suspicious.
I did the estimates for the terms just "by hand"- using temperature and velocity fields. And the estimates for all the terms but advective ones are pretty much the same as the one I got from diagnostics file.

I would really appriciate if somebody could explain me what is going on with the horizontal and vertical advection terms from diagnostics!

Thanks a lot,
Evgeny

wilkin

Re: Diagnostics for temperature

#2 Unread post by wilkin »

Things to note about the advection diagnostics:

1. The terms are transferred to the right hand side of the temperature tendency equation (all the diagnostics are) so kepe this in mind regarding their sign.

2. The HADV term is both u and v together, schematically d(uT)/dx+d(vT)/dy

3. The VADV term (and HADV) is computed in the ROMS s-coordinate so is proportional to d(omega*T)/ds and is not directly d(wT)/dz which is probably what you are computing approximately for comparison. If you work through the math for this flux form of the advection terms in s-coordinates you can see how these archived terms relate to cartesian coordinate equivalents.

John.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

logvinov

Re: Diagnostics for temperature

#3 Unread post by logvinov »

Thanks John,

It helps a lot.