Some problems

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

susonic

Some problems

#1 Unread post by susonic »

Hi All~I'm using ROMS 2.1 and I'm goning to ask 3 questions.

the 1st question is I'm trying to make new grid file, but the bathymetry is different with each rtarget value. Is there an appropriate rtarget value when I'm making the grid?

the 2nd one is when I'm making a grid for a very zoomed area(some island), the shape of the grid is different between using etopo2 and etopo 5. And the map looks better when I using etopo2.(The grid which made from etopo5 looks weird.) So, the question is
'Is it OK with using etopo2?'
Because, one of my friends said "It's absurd using etopo5! because it wasn't confirmed!"

And the last one is my friend lost his ID and PW. How can he find his
ID and PW? (The e-mail that he used for making the ID and PW at the first time does not exist anymore)

kate

Re: Some problems

#2 Unread post by kate »

susonic wrote:Hi All~I'm using ROMS 2.1 and I'm goning to ask 3 questions.

the 1st question is I'm trying to make new grid file, but the bathymetry is different with each rtarget value. Is there an appropriate rtarget value when I'm making the grid?
You mean the Beckmann r-value? I shoot for 0.4. You are making a series of nested grids and the finer ones support steeper bathymetry, is that what you're saying? The r-value is simply a measure of the relative change in depth from one grid to the next. A finer grid lets you make steeper slopes, keeping the r-value the same.
the 2nd one is when I'm making a grid for a very zoomed area(some island), the shape of the grid is different between using etopo2 and etopo 5. And the map looks better when I using etopo2.(The grid which made from etopo5 looks weird.) So, the question is
'Is it OK with using etopo2?'
Because, one of my friends said "It's absurd using etopo5! because it wasn't confirmed!"
There are errors in both etopo5 and etopo2, different errors. etopo5 is extremely smooth, but seems to be a decent representation given the smoothing and the coarse resolution. If you want something finer, try the new Smith and Sandwell at 1 minute resolution. They have fixed some of the errors from etopo2 in shallow waters.
And the last one is my friend lost his ID and PW. How can he find his
ID and PW? (The e-mail that he used for making the ID and PW at the first time does not exist anymore)
Have him contact Dave Robertson, forum admin here.

susonic

Thx for the reply

#3 Unread post by susonic »

I really appreciate your answer! Kate~