nudging/relaxation time scale field

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

jschoi

nudging/relaxation time scale field

#1 Unread post by jschoi »

I want to apply a relaxation layer for temperature and salinity at only east boundary using a climatology nudging.
Boundary file is used daily HYCOM and climatology file is used monthly HYCOM.

My test cases are three.
common setting: East and West tracer RadNud, TNUD == 5.0, OBCFAC == 5.0 in ocean.in, north and south closed

case 1, control model, this is not used nudging. (LtracerCLM == F F, LnudgeTCLM == F F)

case 2, nudging coefficient field is zero. (LtracerCLM == T T, LnudgeTCLM == T T)

case 3, nudging coefficient field is zero in interior,
however, decrease from 1/30 (day-1) at the only east boundary to zero at the interior,
and, 1/5 (day-1) at the west boundary. (LtracerCLM == T T, LnudgeTCLM == T T)

and, I ran the models just one step (dt == 40 sec) respectively.

My questions are:
1. why the temperatures are difference in his0001 of case 2 and case 1 at both boundaries.
(i.e. case 2 minus case 1 is not zero at both boundaries)

2. why the temperatures are difference at west boundary in his0002 of case 3 and case 1
(i.e. case 3 minus case 1 is not zero at west boundary),
but are not difference in all area in his0001 of case 3 and case 1, unerstandably.

3. Do lateral boundary and climatology only for relaxation share the inverse time scale in nudging nc file?

Salinity is also the same as above.

kate

Re: nudging/relaxation time scale field

#2 Unread post by kate »

Answers 1, 2 and 3: In t3dbc_im.F, the nudging code has a different nudging constant depending on whether or not LnudgeTCLM is true. You can search for LnudgeTCLM there to see. That is not the behavior I want, so I have modified my code accordingly.