Restarting floats

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

m.hadfield

Restarting floats

#1 Unread post by m.hadfield »

ROMS floats files contain a variable FRREC which, in the same way as NRREC, is supposed to allow float trajectories to be carried over a model restart from one run to another (or so I surmise). Has anyone actually achieved this? It doesn't work for me. As far as I can see, DEF_FLOATS is only called (from OUTPUT) if LdefFLT is true, but the restart code in DEF_FLOATS is only executed if LdefFLT is false.

arango
Site Admin

#2 Unread post by arango »

Yes. Sorry I missed this one. This is easy to fix. I will update the svn repository today.

m.hadfield

#3 Unread post by m.hadfield »

It (revision 158) works beautifully, thanks!

dsdarr

Re: Restarting floats

#4 Unread post by dsdarr »

I am having trouble starting floats in the middle of a run. I want to re-start a run (that was run without floats) and then add floats at a few key locations and view their evolution. So, I recompiled with #define FLOATS and the initial header info shows that my floats.in file is being read correctly. The re-start itself runs just fine but the float locations just stay at 1e35. After poking around in the archives of the forum, I am guessing that my floats are not being released when I think they are. So I think my question is what should I be using for Ft0 when I am restarting in the middle of a run?

thanks, David

m.hadfield

Re: Restarting floats

#5 Unread post by m.hadfield »

I add floats to an existing run all the time. There are 1 or 2 gotchas (I'm not sure I remember what they all are) but basically it should work OK.

As it says in the floats-file documentation, Ft0 is the "Time (days) of float release after model initialization." It will be less than the time printed at each time step by an amount equal to DSTART, if that is non-zero. (That surprised me when I first realised it.)