odd problem with hc

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

leon

odd problem with hc

#1 Unread post by leon »

Hello all,
I got an odd problem with hc. Actually, the probelm is NETCDF_CHECK_VAR-inconsistent value of variable:hc 3.000000E+00 2.999994E+00 in/users/leon/nest-init.nc.
But I check the init file and grid file, the value of hc are all equal 3. What's the problem? By the way, I just update my ROMS version.
Thanks~

m.hadfield

Re: odd problem with hc

#2 Unread post by m.hadfield »

The value of hc in your grid file is different from the value specified in the ROMS input file, even though they look the same when printed with a limited number of decimal points.

NETCDF_CHECK_VAR checks for equality within a tolerance specified by parameter RoundOff, to which it assigns a value 1.0E-7. Your discrepancy is a bit larger than this. The most likely reason is that hc in your grid file is a netCDF FLOAT variable, or if it's a DOUBLE variable, it was assigned a single-precision value. Your options are: a) increase RoundOff in your copy of the ROMS source; b) rewrite your grid file. I suggest (b) is preferable.

turuncu

#3 Unread post by turuncu »

Hi,

i have almost same problem. Model gives error as,

NETCDF_CHECK_VAR - inconsistent value of variable: hc 1.000000E+01 1.000000E+00
in file: Data/roms_ini_SODA_Y1997M7.nc

i check the all files and value is same in all input netcdf files (10). I found that it causes from ROMS/Modules/mod_netcdf.F file and "CASE ('hc')" part and hc(ng) value returns 1.0 . I also set the TCLINE parameter as

TCLINE == 10.0d0

The hc variable is double data type in each input netcdf file. Is there any other configuration parameter that controls the hc value?

I set the land point depth as 1.0 and the definition of hc is min(hmin,Tcline). I think this causes problem. What is the reasonable value of depth in land points?

Thanks,

--ufuk

m.hadfield

#4 Unread post by m.hadfield »

turuncu wrote:I set the land point depth as 1.0 and the definition of hc is min(hmin,Tcline). I think this causes problem. What is the reasonable value of depth in land points?
The same as the minimum value of depth in the sea points. You shouldn't assign a special value to the land depth; just smooth the bathymetry through the land.

arango
Site Admin

#5 Unread post by arango »

Notice that when Vtransform=2, no longer there is a constraint on hc. Check the following :arrow: wiki page for details. The definition of hc=MIN(hmin,Tcline) is only valid for Vtransform=1.

This is starting to sound like an old record. There is plenty information about this in this forum and wiki. Check for example the following :arrow: message. Users have ignored the issue with Tcline in the past and had set-up its value to one that is inconsistent with the minimum value of input bathymetry. The internal check of hc=MIN(hmin,Tcline) is to insure a well posed transformation which apparently many ignored and violated. Now ROMS is checking for this value to make sure that your configuration is consistent. This is a very trivial issue to solve.