Lfloat option

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

mathieu

Lfloat option

#1 Unread post by mathieu »

One of the nice feature of ROMS is the ability when running with STATIONS or FLOATS to actually disable those options.
For STATIONS the way to do is to have the following station files.

Code: Select all

Lstations == F
For FLOATS the corresponding file is

Lfloats == F
But unfortunately this does not work, there are some segmentation faults occuring already in the function read_FloatsPar.
One set of error is taken care of by adding

IF (Lfloats(ng)) THEN
END IF
in the loop assigning FLT and another one for the deallocation of the arrays. But then similar problems show up later on in the grid_coords function.

m.hadfield

Re: Lfloat option

#2 Unread post by m.hadfield »

Good point.

The segmentation faults normally come from array bounds violations, which can be detected if you enable bounds checking (make USE_DEBUG=on). I'm sure the ROMS community would be eternally grateful if you could locate and correct the offending code.

mathieu

#3 Unread post by mathieu »

Ok, so Hernan corrected the problem in revision 354. Thank you.
Another problem I encountered is with the entry at ocean_time=1 of the netcdf FLTNAME file. At present the field lon and lat are set to zero and the remaining fields are set to fillvalue.

Maybe it is a feature and not a bug but this is not pretty and I would rather prefer that the values at ocean_time=1 correspond to the ones, which we put in the FPOSNAM initial file for floats.

m.hadfield

#4 Unread post by m.hadfield »

Hi mathieu

Are you referring to the fact that float positions are revised, and new releases initialised, after the output files are written for that time step? I find this irritating too, but I can't see an easy way to fix it.

When I am plotting float trajectories and I want to show the initial location of each one, I parse the input file to get this info.