Problem generating contact file with three refined grids

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

marcmestres

Problem generating contact file with three refined grids

#1 Unread post by marcmestres »

I am trying to generate the contact file for a setup with three telescoping grids. Grid A fully contains grid B, which in turn fully contains grid C, similarly to the ADE nesting in the Lake_jersey test case (which I have managed to replicate). Both nested grids have been generated using the coarse2fine routine, and the refine factors are 5 (grid A -> grid B) and 3 (grid B -> grid C); the boundaries of the different grids do not touch. Following a step-by-step approach, I have successfully created contact files for A+B nesting, and B+C nesting, and both configurations have run smoothly. Now, when I try to create the full A+B+C contact file I run into trouble. For this configuration I believe I should have 4 contact regions (A->B, B->A, B->C and C->B), but the contact routine gives me 6, including regions A->C and C->A, and ends up failing to generate the file.
I have looked into the grid_connections matlab routine and I see that, for some reason, at least one of the edge boundary vectors defining the connection between grids A and C is not zero, so it assumes that the A+C contact region is valid, but I cannot discover why. Any help will be truly appreciated.
Thanks.

wilkin

Re: Problem generating contact file with three refined grids

#2 Unread post by wilkin »

I just took a look at my 3-level nested setup and I agree you should have

Code: Select all

netcdf contactfile_doppio_pioneer_array_v3 {
dimensions:
        Ngrids = 3 ;
        Ncontact = 4 ;
In my case I have a factor of 3 refinement at both levels. Would it be trouble to test whether this is a bug with refinement factors - i.e. could you re-run coarse2fine with factors of 3 in both just to see whether the contact file processes correctly. It would rule out (or in) a certain class of possible bugs.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

marcmestres

#3 Unread post by marcmestres »

Thanks John. I have followed your suggestion and repeated the nesting using a factor of 3 for both refinements, but the problem remains. I can bypass it by manually invalidating the contact regions between the finest and coarsest meshes in the grid_connections routine, but it still bothers me since it is likely to be due to some silly mistake on my side.

Vera

#4 Unread post by Vera »

hello~
I want to know that if I have two nested grids,can I set different N(number of vertical layers)for them?
Thanks in advance.

arango
Site Admin

#5 Unread post by arango »

Hi Marc and John,

I removed the restriction of having the noncoincident grid points in the indirect connectivity between grids for telescoping applications. See the following :arrow: trac ticket for more information.

Please update. Your particular set-up should work now.

marcmestres

#6 Unread post by marcmestres »

Hernan and John

Thank you very much. Will try it as soon as possible.

Regards