Ocean Modeling Discussion

ROMS/TOMS

Search for:
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:56 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC

Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 12:54 pm
Posts: 4
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
ROMS Post

I am running the W4DVAR with strong constraint (NADJ=NTIMES) on an 800m resolution grid (40 vertical levels) with initial and boundary conditions taken from 3.7km regional NCOM (USEAST). The surface forcings are taken from a WRF model that is NOT coupled to the ROMS model. I am assimilating ship board ADCP profiles and CTD casts from a research vessel. My header, ocean.in and s4dvar.in files are in the attached zip file. I am getting these “rock in the pond” (Cauchy-Poisson problem) patterns in my velocity increment fields. They seem to be generated at the bottom model level and then propagate all the way to the surface. What I have discovered so far is that this issue does not show up if I use the incremental strong constraint (IS4DVAR). I have also tried smoothing the hell out of my bathymetry and changing my drag law specifications : no improvement. Has anyone else seen this problem before with the W4DVAR? Am I missing something obvious or is there something inherent to the dual form indirect representer based method that could cause this issue. Also I am running the 4DVAR with 1 outer loop and 40 inner loops and the cost function plot shows that it seems to have converged. Lastly, I am including a plot of the background/prior fields to show that these features are only present in the analysis.

Thank you for your help in advance and let me know if you have any questions about what I am doing.


Attachments:
File comment: Increment velocities at model level 40 (bottom) for time 1 hr, 12 hr, and 24 hr.
increment_lvl40.png
increment_lvl40.png [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 6575 times ]
File comment: Increment velocities at model level 35 for time 1 hr, 12 hr, 24 hr, and 48 hr.
increment_lvl35.png
increment_lvl35.png [ 633.59 KiB | Viewed 6575 times ]
File comment: Background velocities at model level 40 for time 1 hr, 24 hr and 48 hr.
background_lvl40.png
background_lvl40.png [ 429.65 KiB | Viewed 6575 times ]
File comment: R4DVAR cost-function for one outer loop and 40 inner loops.
cost_function.jpg
cost_function.jpg [ 48.65 KiB | Viewed 6575 times ]
File comment: header file, ocean.in, and s4dvar.in
parameter_files.zip [36.3 KiB]
Downloaded 22 times
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 12:54 pm
Posts: 4
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
So I think my problem was that I had the number of iterations in the biconjugate gradient algorithm used to solve the elliptic equation for the balance operator set too low for my domain. Initially I was using Nico = 200 but now I have it set as Nico = 3000. This causes my problem to disappear. I have a sense that the model grid resolution is the major reason that I need more iterations.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group