Forcing with bottom fluxes

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

xupeng66

Forcing with bottom fluxes

#1 Unread post by xupeng66 »

Hello,

I have been using ana_btflux.h to define analytical bottom T and S fluxes in my simulations. This is very cumbersome in particular when I need to specify time-varying fluxes at discrete locations. I am thus curious to know if those bottom fluxes can be read from an external NETCDF file like the other forcing variables. According to varinfo.dat, it seems that the forcing file needs to contain two variables 'bhflux', and 'bwflux' for bottom heat and salt flux, respectively. However, those variables appear to be different from 'btflx' defined in ana_btflux.h. For example, 'bhflux' is defined in 'varinfo.dat' as the net bottom heat flux in units 'watt/m^2', whereas the T component of 'btflx' is in units 'degree C m/s'. This is very confusing. Could someone please clarify how to specify bottom T/S fluxes in an external forcing file?

Thanks!
Guangyu

xupeng66

Re: Forcing with bottom fluxes

#2 Unread post by xupeng66 »

I looked into the source code and found that 'bhflux' is heat flux density in 'watt/m^2' as listed in varinfo.dat. After being read from the external forcing file, 'bhflux' is converted internally to knematic heat flux in 'deg C m/s'. The corresponding variable in ana_btflux.h is kinematic heat flux.