Wave absorption boundary condition

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

hpd14thu

Wave absorption boundary condition

#1 Unread post by hpd14thu »

Hi all,

I used OpenFOAM recently and ran a case with wave absorption boundary condition.

When I turn to ROMS, I found that they were no wave absorption boundary condition. I don't have open boundary data, and I only want to absorb wave of open boudary and avoid reflection.

I tried cha for 2dzeta, fla for 2duv, and gra for 3d, but it worked bad. After several hours, lots of reflection happened near open boundary and model blowed up.

Look forward to your suggestion.

Thanks

Peida

kate

Re: Wave absorption boundary condition

#2 Unread post by kate »

This is a classic problem with regional ocean models. You can try the radiation boundary conditions instead, if you like. However, what is working for us in practice is using values from a global ocean model on the boundaries to keep things behaving better (if not entirely well).

hpd14thu

#3 Unread post by hpd14thu »

kate wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:40 pm This is a classic problem with regional ocean models. You can try the radiation boundary conditions instead, if you like. However, what is working for us in practice is using values from a global ocean model on the boundaries to keep things behaving better (if not entirely well).
Thanks Kate,

I wonder that if there are some general rules when using Rad? For example, when I use Rad, if I need to set all of 2d-uv, 2d-zeta and 3d-uv as Rad || or Fla for 2d-uv, Cha for 2d-zeta and Rad for 3d-uv.

Cause I barely remember that I seemed to use Rad long long ago, and I made a bad conbination of different condition and failed to run model. (When I use Rad, I don't need to input any varibales or define RADIATION_2D?)

Peida

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

If your barotropic solution is working for you, don't change that.

Using Rad alone will not require external fields. You may or may not do better with RADIATION_2D. Just try it and see if it helps.

If you want more specific advice, you should probably tell us more about what you are trying to do.

hpd14thu

#5 Unread post by hpd14thu »

kate wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:41 pm If your barotropic solution is working for you, don't change that.

Using Rad alone will not require external fields. You may or may not do better with RADIATION_2D. Just try it and see if it helps.

If you want more specific advice, you should probably tell us more about what you are trying to do.
Thanks and I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear,

What I plan to do : I try to calculate zeta and 3duvw in a semi-closed coastal area, which north boudanry open, south/east/west boudanry closed.

Forcing
: forcing condition is large wind, may result in large zeta and uvw. So maybe Rad is suitable for me to deal with the open boudanry.

Boundary : My present boundary conditon (I wonder if it's Ok) and results of zeta near north boundary (reflection) (run time=60s)shows below (PS : I set ana_fsobc and ana_m2obc as zero):

Now the issue is reflection appeared near the north boundary.

Peida
[/quote]
Attachments
boud.png
boud.png (26.29 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
Last edited by hpd14thu on Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

zhangtianhao

#6 Unread post by zhangtianhao »

Maybe you should change tke boundary to gra

Hoty

2020-01-17

hpd14thu

#7 Unread post by hpd14thu »

Thank you, Hoty:

After some trials, I found I could expand the area to decrease the influence of boundary reflection.

And I use:
Attachments
boundary.jpg
boundary.jpg (38.14 KiB) Viewed 3129 times