Amplification in zeta after adding river forcing

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

navin

Amplification in zeta after adding river forcing

#1 Unread post by navin »

Hi, I am running ROMS for the Bay of Bengal at 1/18 degree resolution. I wanted to add river discharge. I did it from the Dai and Trenberth global climatological data.
Following points which I have noticed are
1. In the log file (when river forcing is added) Potential energy is completely zero which is in the range of 1.604489E-03 ( when there is no river)
2. In the log file (when river forcing is added) Total energy is in the range of 4.067046E+02, which is in the range of 3.563564E-01 ( when there is no river)

3 After analyzing the output I compared the zeta which seems to be very high in the case when the river is added

Both simulations are identical in every manner except I switched on the LuvSrc == T and LtracerSrc == T T ( to add the river discharge in the second case)

I am attaching the log file for both the cases and plot for zeta output from ROMS output.

Both cases are the climatological simulation. I simulated them for 10 years and did analysis only on last year's data.
Attachments
ssha_2.png
ZETA variable from model
ZETA variable from model
log_without_river.log
Log file without river discharge
(61.11 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
log_with_river.log
Log file when adding river discharge
(61.43 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
roms_river.nc
River discharge file
(38.07 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Last edited by navin on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kate

Re: Amplification in zeta after adding river forcing

#2 Unread post by kate »

What about the surface salinity and velocity? Are you getting a run-away estuary where the surface is too fresh and fails to vertically mix down? I would expect there to be enough fresh water input there to change the results, but are they now more sensible or not? I can't tell from zeta.

navin

Re: Amplification in zeta after adding river forcing

#3 Unread post by navin »

Hi kate, I am attaching the current profile and the surface salinity profile. Hope this will help you in understanding the problem in a better way.
But what about the potential energy and total energy which I raised in my post.

Bay of Bengal receive very high fresh water discharge from major rivers like BrahmPutra, Ganga, Irawaddy, Krishna, Godawari and other rivers.

What should be the optimum value of salinity and temperature in fiver forcing file?
Attachments
salt_2.png
salt_1.png
Surface current plot
Surface current plot