WET_DRY option results in too much land_mask?

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

hpd14thu

WET_DRY option results in too much land_mask?

#1 Unread post by hpd14thu »

Hello everyone,

I am runing a costal area case and I just force it by wind stress.The running time is 16days. I set hmin as 10m and turn on the WET_DRY option(I set WET_DRY parameter as 10m, too).

But I don't know why there are too much land mask generated in the last half of my calculation time, as shown in the figures below, which turns most of shallow water area into land area.

In fact, in first half of my calculation time, the wind velocity is small and mask looks well. But in the last half of my calculation time, a hurricane passes in my area. And then the mask becomes strange. Maybe there are some problems here?

Thank you and look forward to your reply!
Attachments
2.png
2.png (17.62 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
1.png
1.png (26.89 KiB) Viewed 1629 times

kate

Re: WET_DRY option results in too much land_mask?

#2 Unread post by kate »

You are telling the model that it can never have less than 10 m water depth in the "wet" parts. You might try something rather smaller for DCRIT, like 0.5 m. Then you'd have to have 9.5 m of water leaving due to the storm surge before a spot became "dry".

hpd14thu

Re: WET_DRY option results in too much land_mask?

#3 Unread post by hpd14thu »

kate wrote:You are telling the model that it can never have less than 10 m water depth in the "wet" parts. You might try something rather smaller for DCRIT, like 0.5 m. Then you'd have to have 9.5 m of water leaving due to the storm surge before a spot became "dry".
Thank you for your reply, Kate! I misunderstood the meaning of DCRIT.