Floats in nested configuration

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

MBendoni

Floats in nested configuration

#1 Unread post by MBendoni »

Dear all,

I am running a nested grids configuration with two nesting levels (ONE-WAY) and the model works fine without floats.
I would like to know if it is possible to add floats so they can move from a grid to another and vice-versa (in order that they are alternatively subjected to different flow field patterns). I found the following ticket:

https://www.myroms.org/projects/src/ticket/680

where it is reported that: "Currently, the floats trajectories are independent of each nested grid. That is, once that the trajectory exit a particular grid it will not continue into the other nested grids. We will figure out in the future how to allow this but it is not high in our priority list."

Has this issue still to be addressed?

Cheers,
Michele

kate

Re: Floats in nested configuration

#2 Unread post by kate »

No, it has not. I think you'd be better off doing floats offline with dedicated float-tracking software instead. Adding multi-grid features would still be tricky there too.

rduran

#3 Unread post by rduran »

Can ROMS track passive tracer through nested grids?

If so, another option is three passive tracers with physical diffusion set to zero—each tracer being a label for each coordinate of each parcel's initial position. For examples see

Kuebel Cervantes, B. T., J. S. Allen, and R. M. Samelson, 2004. Lagrangian characteristics of
continental shelf flows forced by periodic wind stress. Nonlin. Proc. Geophys., 11, 3-16.

Kuebel, B. T., J. S. Allen, and R. M. Samelson, 2003. A modeling study of Eulerian and Lagrangian
aspects of shelf circulation o Duck, North Carolina. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 33, 2070-2092.

Springer, S. R., R.M. Samelson, J. S. Allen, G. D. Egbert, A. L. Kurapov, R. N. Miller and J. C.
Kindle, 2009. A Nested Grid Model of the Oregon Coastal Transition Zone: Simulations
and Comparisons with Observations During the 2001 Upwelling Season. J. Geophys. Res., 114, C02010, doi:10.1029/2008JC004863

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

I assume that would work. Why don't you try it and let us know?