Ocean Modeling Discussion

ROMS/TOMS

Search for:
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:57 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC

Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:31 am
Posts: 20
Location: Stevens Institute of Technology
Dear all,

I am working on a case study of simulating the water current of estuary without wind forcing. The boundary condition and initial condition (including temperature, salinity, ubar, vbar, uvel, vvel, zeta) were interpolated from another hydrodynamic model simulation result. I have complete a 72-hr simulation without crash. However, the problem is that the result shows spatial discontinuity as the attached gif file shown.
Attachment:
File comment: animation of temperature simulation reuslt
test3_5_sur_temp_31_3571.gif
test3_5_sur_temp_31_3571.gif [ 3.73 MiB | Viewed 140 times ]

The boundary type I used is:
free surface: Chapman
2d momentum: Flather
3d momentum: Clamped
Tvar: Clamped
** I don't have MTKE on boundary.
I also test other kinds of boundary type combination, for example
1)free surface-Chapman, 2d momentum-Flather, 3d momentum-Radiation, Tvar-Radiation
2)free surface-Radiation, 2d momentum and 3d momentum-Clamped, Tvar-Radiation
3)all are Clamped
4)all are Radiation
They didn't help with this problem...

I suspect the boundary condition may have some problem, so I tried to do some idealized run: only open one boundary (north boundary) and only apply free surface as boundary condition(Clamped), and set the initial condition as 0. However, the simulated zeta of the cell inside of the domain has high frequency oscillation, which is pretty different with the water level on boundary. I also attached a figure to show the zeta time series of cell on the north boundary (blue line) and the cell inside of the domain (orange line). I guess the reason of the oscillation is I closed all the other boundaries, but I am not sure....
Attachment:
File comment: zeta time series of two cell, blue is for cell on north boundary, orange is for cell inside of the domain
NE_wl_boundary.png
NE_wl_boundary.png [ 28.66 KiB | Viewed 140 times ]


I also attached the *.in file(ocean_estuarynw_p_mix.in) and standard output file (run_3.log).
If you have had similar problem or have ideas about my spatial discontinuity problem, thanks for your advice!

Best regards
Yifan


Attachments:
File comment: standard output
run_3.log [15.7 MiB]
Downloaded 14 times
File comment: model input file
ocean_estuarynw_p_mix.in [132.13 KiB]
Downloaded 16 times
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group