Import reference points in GridBuilder

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

Prnceton

Import reference points in GridBuilder

#1 Unread post by Prnceton »

GridBuilder Reference Points:
Reference Points: GridBuilder will read in the boundary rho points from a ROMS file (lon_rho and lat_rho) and apply them as reference points. GridBuilder can also read data from a two column ASCII file with longitudes (x data) in the first column and latitudes (y data) in the second column.
I think reference points in GridBuilder are similar to boundary.dat in seagrid, so I delete the third column in boundary.dat and I get a new file reference_points.dat, for example:

Code: Select all

118 23
118 16
127 16
127 23
But when I import this file into GridBuilder, the 4 points are not shown in the map.
Can somebody tell me what kind of two column ASCII file is right?

CharlesJames
Location: South Australian Research and Development Institute

Re: Import reference points in GridBuilder

#2 Unread post by CharlesJames »

Reference points have no effect on the grid but provide visual points within the map that can be used as a guide when constructing a grid, i.e. where a mooring or tide gauge is that you might want to have within your domain. If you import reference points from a ROMS grid file then they are all the boundary points (but not interior points) of the grid which might be useful if you want to nest a new arbitrarily shaped grid within an old grid. It should read in an ascii file as well, comma separated or just tab deliminated. The data you sent in seems to work fine with my version and four + signs appear on the map when I import from a text file I created by copying and pasting from your example. I can design a grid on top of them, there is a toolbar toggle that will turn them on and off. I did notice they get deleted when you import a new grid from a ROMS file but you should be able to reimport them again.