magnitude of viscosities used in GOFS and RELO

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

sonaljit.m

magnitude of viscosities used in GOFS and RELO

#1 Unread post by sonaljit.m »

hi all,

This is not directly related to ROMS, but I was hoping if someone could provide me some specific information that I am looking for. (or please guide me to the literature where this info is available)

I am working on a ROMS based coastal ocean circulation setup that uses 3D data from an operational ocean forecast system for boundary conditions. For my domain (Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands), currently operational systems are the GOFS (HYCOM-NCODA 1/12 deg), Mercator (NEMO 1/12 deg) and the RELO (NCOM AMSEAS 1/36 deg). As part of my work, I am looking for what kind of horizontal and vertical mixing parameterizations do the GOFS 3.1 HYCOM and the RELO NCOM use. And how much are the magnitudes of their horizontal mixing coefficients?

For example, Mercator NEMO uses the following:
- Laplacian lateral isopycnal tracer diffusivity: 100 m^2.s^−1
- Horizontal biharmonic momentum viscosity: −2×10^10 m^4.s^−1
- Vertical turbulent closure model (order 1.5) from Blanke and Delecluse (1993)

Maybe Ive been looking in the wrong places, but I could not find similar info on the viscosities used by GOFS HYCOM and RELO AMSEAS. Does anyone know where can I find this?

Thanks.

wilkin

Re: magnitude of viscosities used in GOFS and RELO

#2 Unread post by wilkin »

There is a HYCOM google group and forum. https://groups.google.com/a/hycom.org/f ... orum/forum

You might read the documentation there and post a query.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu