Non-hydrostatic processes?

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

aryansafaie

Non-hydrostatic processes?

#1 Unread post by aryansafaie »

Dear all,
I know this is a broad question, and I apologize in advance for my ignorance, so I would be very grateful if you can just direct me to any appropriate reading material/literature.
My question is: when confronted with a non-hydrostatic process, such as the front of a gravity current, plunging thermals, or upwelling/downwelling & convergence/divergence zones, what aspect of (Rutgers) ROMS determines how well the model will resolve these processes?
Does the choice of turbulence closure, vertical advection CPP option, or number of vertical layers significantly influence the results in these cases?

Thank you for your time and help!
best,
-aryan

mastrorocco

Re: Non-hydrostatic processes?

#2 Unread post by mastrorocco »

Hi Aryan,

The following paper gives some guidance, based on the choice of spatial resolution, tracer advection schemes, Reynolds number and turbulence closures, when representing non-hydrostatic processes (lock-exchange and mixed layer instability) using ROMS.

Marques, G., and T. Özgökmen, 2014: On modeling turbulent exchange in buoyancy-driven fronts. Ocean Modelling, 83, 43-62, doi:10.1016/j.ocemod.2014.08.006.

Best,

Gustavo

aryansafaie

Re: Non-hydrostatic processes?

#3 Unread post by aryansafaie »

Dear Gustavo,

Thank you very much; this paper is exactly what I needed.
And just for the general community, here's an oldie but a goodie:

Marshall, J., Hill, C., Perelman, L., & Adcroft, A. (1997). Hydrostatic, quasi‐hydrostatic, and nonhydrostatic ocean modeling. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 102(C3), 5733-5752.

Best,
-aryan