How to Run Model in barotropic way?

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

Rocky_Wang

How to Run Model in barotropic way?

#1 Unread post by Rocky_Wang »

Hello everyone,
I am going to make some tests that how some factors such as tide, wind, temp and salt influence the residual current. I know how to run the model without tidal and wind forcing. But I don't know how to run the model with uniform and unchanged temp and salt that without baroclinic influence.
seting the temp and salt in initial file are uniform and seting NAT = 0 ? I don't thing it's a good way.
How do I change my .h file?
Attachments
bysea.h
(3.94 KiB) Downloaded 223 times

kate

Re: How to Run Model in barotropic way?

#2 Unread post by kate »

To run in barotropic mode, turn off SOLVE3D in the .h file. In the ocean.in file, you then need to set ndtfast to 1. Knowing that, you can search for NDTFAST being 1 in the tests and find that ocean_flt_test2d.in, ocean_canyon2d.in and ocean_soliton.in are such examples.

Rocky_Wang

#3 Unread post by Rocky_Wang »

Thank you Kate, that is to say, when I turn off SOLVE3D, I can't use SEDIMENT and BULK_FLUXES anymore. If I want to add wind, I must change wind speed into wind stress in my forcing files?

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

Yes, that's true, but I do have a BULKFLUX_2D option in my code. Sediments don't work in a shallow water model without tracers.

Rocky_Wang

#5 Unread post by Rocky_Wang »

It runs successfully, but I think the result may be not what I want, Because I changed so much of my model. the model can't output u and v, just ubar and vbar.
There is no need to run in barotropic way. I want to know if there are app opinions that can keep the temp and salt constant, even though I turn on bulk_flux and SOLVE3D. How do I change my .h file.

kate

#6 Unread post by kate »

There is a TS_FIXED option which you can search to see exactly what it does. The text in cppdefs.h says no evolution of tracers, so if you have sediment tracers on, it might turn them off too.