River implementation

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

clarissa

River implementation

#1 Unread post by clarissa »

Hi dear all,

I'm trying to implement river discharge in ROMS, in order to do that I ran one experiment without the river runoff (RUNOFF undefined) and one with the river runoff (RUNOFF defined)and the same atmospheric forcing and ocean boundary conditions for both. My grid goes from 10N - 55S and from 70W - 20W. The implemented river was the Amazon river, which is the the northern part of the grid. When I calculate the difference between the run without the river and the run with the river I can see some differences also in the southern part of the grid, as illustrated by the image below, and my question is why does these differences appear if the only different thing I did was to define runoff and LtracerSrc == T T and LuvSrc == T. Also in the attachments you'll find the .in and .h for the run with the river.

Thanks in advance,
Clarissa
Attachments
swa12ext_06.h
(3.75 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
swa12ext_06.in
(119.94 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
In figure 1 it is displayed Sea Surface Temperature, the figure on the left corresponds to the run without the Amazon, the figure on the middle is the run with the Amazon river (indicated by the black arrow), and the figure on the right is the difference between the previous ones.
In figure 1 it is displayed Sea Surface Temperature, the figure on the left corresponds to the run without the Amazon, the figure on the middle is the run with the Amazon river (indicated by the black arrow), and the figure on the right is the difference between the previous ones.

kate

Re: River implementation

#2 Unread post by kate »

Which code is this, exactly? Hernan's does not have the RUNOFF option, which is like a second rainfall field from say Dai et al.'s product of global fresh water. If you are turning on LtracerSrc and LuvSrc, you probably don't also want RUNOFF.

Adding the fresh water at the Amazon is going to change something about the turbulent flow. I would focus on the fresh water differences rather than the temperature differences.