ROMS Nest Boundary problem

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

sdlwo

ROMS Nest Boundary problem

#1 Unread post by sdlwo »

Hi, everyone.
Now I have a problem about the roms nest boundary. My case is around Taiwan from Luzon strait to East China Sea, I used two domain ( a big domain and a nest domain) to simulate it. But when I run the model, at the nest boundary, where it became unstable (like the figures showing). The nest domain's boundary condition is from big domain. I don't know is it boundary condition to cause this problem? Or those two domains' bathymetries don't match? Or the bathymetry on the nest boundary is too deep? I appreciate your help.
Attachments
This is the temperature of nest domain.
This is the temperature of nest domain.
This is the temperature of big domain.
This is the temperature of big domain.

leighton

Re: ROMS Nest Boundary problem

#2 Unread post by leighton »

Your errors look similar to ones I recently encountered while using two-way coupled in deep water. There are a several things that should be checked, including the consistency of the metrics between grids and consistency of the bathymetry. Check the suggestions made to me by John Wilkin in viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4288 In the end, my nesting problem was corrected by using the one-way nesting cpp flag. You might try that.

sdlwo

#3 Unread post by sdlwo »

Hi, Leighton,
I appreciate your reply. It looks a good way to solve this problem. But I don't sure how you set the ONE-WAY code.

Best Regards,
Dongliang

leighton

#4 Unread post by leighton »

Adding

#define ONE_WAY

to your 'application'.h file where you defined NESTING will limit the nesting to one-way coupling.

The will not correct issues associated with poorly defined metrics or inconsistent bathymetry. I suggest it as a means of bypassing this unresolved issue viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4327

LinShicheng

#5 Unread post by LinShicheng »

Hi, sdlwo,
Now, I try to learn how to use nest scheme, and I have run the case LAKE JERSEY in the WikiROMS, but there is something wrong that indicates a parameter 'Nweights' is required in nesting grid connectivity file. May I add your email and consult you? Thanks!
My email is 726561560@qq.com.
LinShicheng