creating grid for Roms seagrid/gridbuilder

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

atul

creating grid for Roms seagrid/gridbuilder

#1 Unread post by atul »

Hi,

Has anyone tried making grid without using make_grid in ROMS

I want to make a free grid for ROMS as shown in enclosed figure.

Has anyone sucessfully made grid using seagrid on 64 bit 14.04 ubuntu LTS

or using gridbuilder

I am getting error while using setup option in seagrid and in gridbuilder its not creating all variable, which are created by make_grid in roms

any suggestion for making grid for roms

thanks in advance

atul
Attachments
seagrid.png

kate

Re: creating grid for Roms seagrid/gridbuilder

#2 Unread post by kate »

I'm not using either of those tools, but I can say that I wouldn't make a grid in the shape you show. The orthogonality constraint is pretty stiff and there's already some hint of wild changes in grid spacing between bays and capes in your faint green lines. Either the on-shore or off-shore edge is going to control the grid spacing so I would pick off-shore and make that curve as non-wiggly as possible for uniform grid spacing in the bulk of the domain.

Then there's the school of thought that says you don't want uneven grid spacing at the coast either. Just plop a rectangle down and take care of the rest with the land mask. It's not as much fun as curvilinear grids, but you know you're getting something well-behaved.

atul

#3 Unread post by atul »

Thank you kate for your comment

I will follow your suggestion and take care the orthogonality while creating final grid

But I am stuck here using seagrid to make grid

in the beginning I had problem using "seagrid2roms" script as it required gcc version 4.4

I am working on ubuntu 14.04 so i installed gcc version 4.4 and the script started working

but again I am trying to make another grid then setup option is not working anymore.

I also tried gridbuilder and I was able to make roms-grd.nc file but it doesn't contain all the variable

so now I am looking for solutions to make grid

Atul

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

You're not going to be able to follow the coast like that in pyroms, but it will make orthogonal grids.

For curvilinear grids, the Fortran tools that predate SeaGrid still work.