about build.sh

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

xwbin

about build.sh

#1 Unread post by xwbin »

Hi,
After I using the LMD_MIXING instead of GLS_MIXING in the .h file and inputting "./build.sh" ,here comes the problem which terminate the building order.I upload the error in the attachment.
Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
Attachments
LMD_MIXING.png
LMD_MIXING.png (7.15 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
build_problem.png

kate

Re: about build.sh

#2 Unread post by kate »

If you look at mod_mixing.F, ghats is defined if either LMD_SKPP or LMD_BKPP are defined. It is also inside #ifdef LMD_NONLOCAL. I expect the latter doesn't make sense without the former. So, try #define LMD_SKPP.

xwbin

#3 Unread post by xwbin »

kate wrote:If you look at mod_mixing.F, ghats is defined if either LMD_SKPP or LMD_BKPP are defined. It is also inside #ifdef LMD_NONLOCAL. I expect the latter doesn't make sense without the former. So, try #define LMD_SKPP.
If I define LMD_SKPP,the output.dat will remind me that there is no swrad in my forcing.nc file.And I don't want to add the short wave radiation.Can I define another Cpp to replace LMD_SKPP?

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

What was wrong with GLS_MIXING? That it doesn't have the non-local term?

xwbin

#5 Unread post by xwbin »

kate wrote:What was wrong with GLS_MIXING? That it doesn't have the non-local term?
I use the LMD_MIXING instead of GLS_MIXING because my model outcome couldn't get closer to the hycom when I define GLS_MIXING.So I try the LMD_MIXING. You mean it is not necessary to use the LMD_MXING?

kate

#6 Unread post by kate »

If you want LMD_MIXING, you should include LMD_SKPP and LMD_NONLOCAL and you will have to provide incoming shortwave. LMD_MIXING is about getting mixed-layer depths based on surface fluxes, including those on tracers plus shortwave. I can't imagine that HYCOM would not include all those surface fluxes.

xwbin

#7 Unread post by xwbin »

kate wrote:If you want LMD_MIXING, you should include LMD_SKPP and LMD_NONLOCAL and you will have to provide incoming shortwave. LMD_MIXING is about getting mixed-layer depths based on surface fluxes, including those on tracers plus shortwave. I can't imagine that HYCOM would not include all those surface fluxes.
Thanks very much.I get clearly that if I want to get closer to the hycom, the LMD_MIXING is necessary even the Kuroshio is mainlly governed by the wind instead of the shortwave.
I couldn't get well understand to the parameters TNUDG and OBCFAC,I set the TNUDG=30 and OBCFAC=10.I think these values may be wrong,can you give me some advice?

kate

#8 Unread post by kate »

You are still shooting in the dark to try to get an exact match to HYCOM, aren't you? I know for the Gulf Stream, getting the separation from the coast to match observations is extremely tricky and it depends on many things, including model resolution. I don't know if they've even solved it yet. Your problem is probably a function of bottom depth at the strait too. Is there literature you can read on how to model this region? There seem to be plenty of attempts here on the forums. Is that detour into the South China Sea a normal part of the observed variability? That's not the sort of thing I can answer.

xwbin

#9 Unread post by xwbin »

kate wrote:You are still shooting in the dark to try to get an exact match to HYCOM, aren't you? I know for the Gulf Stream, getting the separation from the coast to match observations is extremely tricky and it depends on many things, including model resolution. I don't know if they've even solved it yet. Your problem is probably a function of bottom depth at the strait too. Is there literature you can read on how to model this region? There seem to be plenty of attempts here on the forums. Is that detour into the South China Sea a normal part of the observed variability? That's not the sort of thing I can answer.
Yes , I think it's a normal part of the observed variability.
Thank you for helping me all the time!You always point me a direction when I was in trouble.Now it's time for me to spend more time on the literatures.Thank you again!