More than one river

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

caking

More than one river

#1 Unread post by caking »

Hi,
I am a new user to ROMS. I am having trouble turning on multiple rivers. I believe that I have the correct positioning. However, when I look at my output I only see salinity decreases near the mouth of 1 river. I should have 12 different rivers coming into my model. I was wondering if there is any specific setting in the ocean.in file I need to change such as the
LuvSrc == T ! horizontal momentum transport
LwSrc == F ! volume vertical influx
LtracerSrc == T T ! temperature, salinity, inert
or is there a CPPdefs.h header I need to add for sources and sinks so that multiple sources are turned on. Or is there a variable some where that specifies the number of rivers?

Thank you,
Christina

wilkin

Re: More than one river

#2 Unread post by wilkin »

Last year I wrote a Wiki ROMS entry about rivers because a number of people were having trouble getting them to work easily. That entry is here:
https://www.myroms.org/wiki/index.php/River_Runoff

The most common mistake that users make (we have all done it) is to misplace a source with the respect to the land/sea mask because of the way ROMS indexes u- and v-points on the C-grid. The diagram in the Wiki entry might help.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

kate

#3 Unread post by kate »

I have a domain with over 5000 rivers, so I didn't want to do it all by hand. I converted the last bit of code from C++ to Python, so it is now here.

caking

#4 Unread post by caking »

You were right, I had a majority of the rivers in wrong location. Seems to be working now.