river point in roms

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

ljd

river point in roms

#1 Unread post by ljd »

Hello,
There are 10 rivers in my model domain, and I am trying to add them as a '*.nc' file in my model. I am not sure how to determine the river point in the model although I have read some posts in this forum.

The rivers in my model are added as following:
1. rivers flow from north to south
maskv(i,j+1)=0,maskv(i,j)=0,maskv(i,j-1)=1, river_transport is negative.
2. rivers flow from west to east
masku(i-1,j)=0,masku(i,j)=0,masku(i+1,j)=1, river_transport is positive.
3. the river_Vshape equals to 0.1 at the top five layers and equals to 0.5/(N-5) in the other layers
4. T equals to the climatology file and S equals to 10 at the river point.

i and j is runoff_Xposition and runoff_Eposition respectively in the roms_runoff.nc file. The model ran for a short period and then blowing up. The salt at the bottom of the river point is very large as the attachment and I also can not find the river has been added to my model.

I also tried to change the i,j, river_Vshape, T and S, but the it make no use.

Can somebody tell me which point should I add the river and what fomulas should masku, maskv and maskrho comply with at (i,j).
Is the river_Vshape ,T and S reasonable in my model?

Thanks!
Attachments
salt3.jpg

kate

Re: river point in roms

#2 Unread post by kate »

It all sounds reasonable to me. I'm not sure what the problem is. You don't mention setting the river direction - 1 for the N-S ones, 0 for the E-W ones.

ljd

#3 Unread post by ljd »

Kate, thanks for your reply.
The river direction in my model is 1 for N-S, and 0 for E-W.
The river transport is negative for rivers flow north to south, and positive for rivers flow west to east.

turuncu

#4 Unread post by turuncu »

Hi,

You did not give any detail about the average monthly discharge from your river but you might consider to represent river using more than one source point. By this way you could distribute the discharge to multiple source point and you could decrease the velocity at that tiny grid that has the river source. It helped to me in a couple of applications.

The other solution might be imposing river as a surface fresh water flux like rain and you could distribute it to the group of grid points that are close to the river. So, in this case you don't need to define source point for river.

--ufuk

dipanjanrocks01

#5 Unread post by dipanjanrocks01 »

How to represent the river using more than one point source and distribute the discharge among the points equally??

Please help me out..

kate

#6 Unread post by kate »

I suggest you pick a scripting language and get proficient enough in it to handle this sort of task. I've been learning Python through some free online classes and I use Python to make my rivers files now.

dipanjanrocks01

#7 Unread post by dipanjanrocks01 »

Thanks kate.. Can u please send me the .m file which can represent the river using more than one point...

lizhaoqin

#8 Unread post by lizhaoqin »

dipanjanrocks01 wrote:Thanks kate.. Can u please send me the .m file which can represent the river using more than one point...
now I want to add river in my model, but I don't know which .m file or files should be used, Could you please tell me ,and send the files to me ,thank you very much!