some options

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

redhat007

some options

#1 Unread post by redhat007 »

while BULK_FLUXES and LONGWAVE options are active, simultaneously, Roms is able to compute lwrad. but it does not happen for swrad when BULK_FLUXES and SHORTWAVE are active in header file. In this circumstance model stopped and says that it can not find swrad?
Would you please tell me that when swrad used as a force file (in ocean.in file),using #define SHORTWAVE what will do? because in this condition model will run with #define SHORTWAVE and without it? which one is correct?
all the best
redhat

force files: pair.tair,qair,rain,cloud,uwind,vwind,swrad and in headre file:

Code: Select all

#define BULK_FLUXES
# ifdef BULK_FLUXES
# define EMINUSP
# define EMINUSP_SSH
# define ALBEDO
# define CLOUDS
# define COOL_SKIN
!# define ANA_SRFLUX
# define LONGWAVE
#define SHORTWAVE
#endif

kate

Re: some options

#2 Unread post by kate »

cppdefs.h has a nice description of your LONGWAVE options, but no mention of SHORTWAVE. However, there's this code in globaldefs.h:

#if defined LMD_SKPP     || defined SOLAR_SOURCE   || \
    defined BULK_FLUXES  || defined BIOLOGY
# define SHORTWAVE
#endif
with SHORTWAVE being turned on for you with BULK_FLUXES. The cpp option called SOLAR_SOURCE is used to heat the interior of the ocean using incoming shortwave radiation. There are many uses for srflx and if you don't have it in an input file, your only other option is to provide it in ANA_SRFLUX.

fereshteh

#3 Unread post by fereshteh »

Thanks for your reply.
therefore it seems that SHORTWAVE option will be active automatically when ever BULK_FLUXES or SOLAR_SOURCE are active. Is not it?
if yes, why it does not appear in stdout file as other options which are active automatically, such as NONLINEAR .
BEST
fereshte
Last edited by fereshteh on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

Yes, SHORTWAVE gets turned on with any of those four options. As for why it didn't get included in checkdefs.F, I'm sure it was just an oversight, easy to fix at that.

kate

#5 Unread post by kate »

There is also an ALBEDO option in ana_srflux.h which computes srflx from clouds, air temperature, humidity and pressure.

redhat007

#6 Unread post by redhat007 »

Dear kate
if you don't have it in an input file, your only other option is to provide it in ANA_SRFLUX.
with regard to ANA_SRFKUX.h contains:

# if defined UPWELLING
      DO j=JstrR,JendR
        DO i=IstrR,IendR
          srflx(i,j)=cff*150.0_r8
        END DO
      END DO
# else
      DO j=JstrR,JendR
        DO i=IstrR,IendR
          srflx(i,j)=0.0_r8
        END DO
      END DO
# endif
zero will be values of srflux for header files other that UPWELLING.
But base on last post, using ALDEDO and ANA_SRFLUX, simultaneously, will computes srflx from clouds, air temperature, humidity and pressure :!: Do you mean that in this situation srflux will not be equal to zero and will computed by some variables that you mentioned :?:
Cheers
redhat

kate

#7 Unread post by kate »

Yes, exactly, and the way to be sure is to look at the code to see what it's doing. I had forgotten about that option until searching on ALBEDO to see my ALBEDO options [ALBEDO is not the name I would have picked for computing srflx(Tair, Pair, Hair, cloud)].