3-level nesting

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

Paul_Budgell

3-level nesting

#1 Unread post by Paul_Budgell »

Has anyone been able to run a 3-level nest with ROMS 3.7? I can get a 2-level nest to run fine, but I'm not able to get contact.m to generate contact points file for a 3-level nest, in which Grid 2 is nested into Grid 1 at 3:1 grid refinement and Grid 3 nests into Grid 2 at 3:1 refinement. I couldn't find any test cases that contain 3-level nesting.

arango
Site Admin

Re: 3-level nesting

#2 Unread post by arango »

Okey, I haven't tried the three-level case yet. I did tried 3-grids and two-levels. I will need to reproduce this problem. I will put in my list of things to do. I hope that it is simple to fix. The order of how you specify the grid file names is extremely important (coarser to finer).

Thank you for reporting this.

panfeng291

#3 Unread post by panfeng291 »

I have the same problems ,the contact.m can generate the NGC file for 2-levels and 3-grids ,but it can not generate the files for 3-level nest.

arango
Site Admin

#4 Unread post by arango »

Yes, thank you. It is in my list of things to do. I am updating the script contact.m. In the mean time, you may experiment with the two-level nesting. It takes awhile to get the grids just right. So you need to run and play with the configuration that works the best. The placement of nested grids is crucial and because of dynamics it is application dependent.