How to generate BRYNAME file

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

liangliang

How to generate BRYNAME file

#1 Unread post by liangliang »

Hi all

I have confused with the boundary condition.
How did roms find the boundary ?How did it recognize which one is west ,south, north or east ? If the domain is not rectangle ,how did roms find obc and coastline ?
I think the answer maybe in BRYNAME file,but how to generate this file? I would appreciate your help.
Thank you !

--chenzhen

kate

Re: How to generate BRYNAME file

#2 Unread post by kate »

I use python scripts to make boundary files. You need information from a larger domain as well - that's the tricky part.

The ROMS convention is that the corner at i,j=0,0 is the Southwest corner. All through the code, the west is at i=0, south is at j=0 and so forth. These are at the outer edge of your (logically) rectangular domain. Any land inside that is considered to be land mask with either no-slip or free-slip conditions on it. If you require flow incoming from within the land masked region, that's the domain of rivers as point sources.

Maybe you are confused in that ROMS really does need (at least one) logically rectangular grid to run on. This is not an unstructured grid model, no matter that there's some interest in such a beast. You build the rectangular grid (stretched or not), then mask out the interior land points.

liangliang

Re: How to generate BRYNAME file

#3 Unread post by liangliang »

kate wrote:I use python scripts to make boundary files. You need information from a larger domain as well - that's the tricky part.

The ROMS convention is that the corner at i,j=0,0 is the Southwest corner. All through the code, the west is at i=0, south is at j=0 and so forth. These are at the outer edge of your (logically) rectangular domain. Any land inside that is considered to be land mask with either no-slip or free-slip conditions on it. If you require flow incoming from within the land masked region, that's the domain of rivers as point sources.

Maybe you are confused in that ROMS really does need (at least one) logically rectangular grid to run on. This is not an unstructured grid model, no matter that there's some interest in such a beast. You build the rectangular grid (stretched or not), then mask out the interior land points.
Thank you kate ! You explain very clearly ! I also try to install pyroms on my Virtualbox or cygwin , but failed . I want to have a try again .