my test problem

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

fereshteh

my test problem

#1 Unread post by fereshteh »

Dear all
I have modified upwelling test for my own bathymetry. It compiled and run without errors. But its cross-section plots seem incorrect becouse the maximum depth of my domain is about 1020 m. I know that it gives my grid because the processing after typing

Code: Select all

csecG<csec.in 
shows correct Lm, Mm and N values. One of its plot attached.
I would grateful to receiving your guides and expreinces to sort out this problem.
Truly yours
fereshte
Attachments
plot.png
plot.png (17.13 KiB) Viewed 2573 times

fereshteh

Re: my test problem

#2 Unread post by fereshteh »

Dear
I can solve above problem :P . But recent problem of mine is that I can't see results time changes in section plots. For example salinity has same values all the time. Therefore I need your experience to find what cause this problem :wink: .
It is necessary to say that this test is same as upwelling test (for analytical files except ANA_GRID) , real bathymetry is used instead of analytical grid.
many many thanks in advance.
best regard
fereshte
Attachments
total u velocity-2.png
total u velocity.png

arango
Site Admin

#3 Unread post by arango »

Very simple. You need to pay attention to the statistics that are dumped to standard output when plotting. Also, see the minimum and maximum values in the bottom left corner of the plot. Notice also the at the bottom of the colorbar there is a scale x10^38. The maximum value in the plot is around 1E+38 :!: The special value in ROMS for masking is 1.0E+37. The plotting package is able to recognize such masked values.

Notice that ROMS metadata model for out NetCDF files:

float u(ocean_time, s_rho, eta_u, xi_u) ;
		u:long_name = "time-averaged u-momentum component" ;
		u:units = "meter second-1" ;
		u:time = "ocean_time" ;
		u:coordinates = "lon_u lat_u s_rho ocean_time" ;
		u:field = "u-velocity, scalar, series" ;
		u:_FillValue = 1.e+37f ;
The _FillValue is added in masked regions and it is easy recognizable by any third party plotting software. You can try plotting your fields with any NetCDF file tools out there.

fereshteh

#4 Unread post by fereshteh »

Dear Arango
At first thanks for your reply.
What I found from your reply is that since parameter's variation range is not in color bar range, this form appears. But please look at attached file. Its min and max are zero and 6.5 E+38, respectively. While color bar range is from 0.00 E+38 till 6.55 E+38, therefore plot should be colored not Monochrome :?: . It seems that in plot all values are zero and also don’t change with time. Are you agree with me?

Also about especial value ( 1.0E+37) you mean that this value applied for masking area (encoded with 0 value in masking process) which specified with gray color.
Sincere thanks for your patient to answer my consecutive questions
Cheers
fereshte
Attachments
21.png

fereshteh

#5 Unread post by fereshteh »

Base on arango reply
The plotting package is able to recognize such masked values
All ROMS plotting package files have been checked to fine where and how _Fillvalue is added in masked region. Finally I find in csec.F (which located inroms/plot/src/Drivers) following lines:

Set area mask, if any.
Lmsk=0
Call areamask (s1,n)
Because I think that above post's error raised because of mixing of variable values in land and sea areas, I set LMSK=1 in csec.F file. After that calculation in sea points.
But one background appears in cross-section plots :evil: .
Dear friends you were able to tell your plotting software to use a mask for anything equal to _Fillvalue I will be too pleased to know which software you use (default roms plotting (csec.in) :?: ) and also if it is possible please tell me how you defined it. i need your experience.
cheers
fereshte
Attachments
this is in first time but i have this problem in next time too.
this is in first time but i have this problem in next time too.
195.png (23.39 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
198.png
198.png (53.38 KiB) Viewed 2435 times