SWAN verion wave-ocean coupling

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

smrhashemi

SWAN verion wave-ocean coupling

#1 Unread post by smrhashemi »

Hello everybody

I am working on a coupled wave-tide model for Northwest European Shelf Seas. In the latest version of the ROMS that I have downloaded via svn, the version of SWAN in the ROMS\trunk\Waves folder is 40.51 while the latest version of the original SWAN code is 40.91.

I was wondering, is the SWAN, which has been coupled with ROMS, different from SWAN's original code? In other words, is it OK to replace the latest version of the SWAN in the ROMS directory?

thanks

jcwarner

Re: SWAN verion wave-ocean coupling

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

I have not updated the version of SWAN in the Rutgers trunk for a while. We have been advancing the model coupling capabilities under a different hat with the COAWST system. We have SWAN version 40.91, grid refinement, atm coupling to WRF, vortex force as the wave-current interaction formualtion, and several other capabilites in that system. If you want to use COAWST just send me an email and i can add you to the list.
jcwarner@usgs.gov
-john

fereshteh

quide

#3 Unread post by fereshteh »

Dear Warner
my aim is coupling roms and swan models for nearshore application. i need your experience to choice appropriate test that can help me for providing inputs and modeling method. Since i am roms newbie would you please guide me toward find best method for starting my research. Also i see some things about COAWST system in forum, you mean that in coupling step it is better to use that system?
thanks in advance
best regard
fereshte

jcwarner

Re: SWAN verion wave-ocean coupling

#4 Unread post by jcwarner »

The coupled roms+swan system as distributed on Rutgers site is a complete setup that can be used to study coastal processes. Depending on what you need, this may be just fine for your applications. However, over the past few years we have been advancing many many aspects of the coupled system, as well as adding other modeling components, and have found it best to develop this under a different 'umbrella'. So the COAWST system has a more recent version of SWAN, we have grid refinement in roms, grid refinement in swan, coupling on each level of refinement, the vortex force implementation for wave-current interaction, coupled the wrf atmospheric model, etc.... If you want to use the Rutgers code, it may be just fine for your needs (i am not sure exaclty what you need). But if you want the coawst code, we can certainly provide that. just send me an email to jcwarner@usgs.gov
-john