Create a 3D mask as a new input file

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

thomas.roc

Create a 3D mask as a new input file

#1 Unread post by thomas.roc »

Hi ROMS community,

I would like to create something like a 3D mask which I could use as an input file in order to turn on and off my custom momentum and turbulence source terms.

What is the best approach to achieve such thing?

FYI, I have successfully implemented these custom source terms yet I use ugly if-loops to spatially define/apply them which implies recompiling each time I want to move them around and, potentially, slowing-down the computation.

Thanks in advance and happy new year to you all,

-T-

jcwarner

Re: Create a 3D mask as a new input file

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

can you just modify AKv or AKt in gls_corstep or whatever closure you are using?

thomas.roc

#3 Unread post by thomas.roc »

Unfortunately, it is a bit more complex than that. During my PhD, I have developed a methodology for representing hydrodynamic effects induced by individual tidal current turbine within ROMS (i.e. http://mhk.pnnl.gov/wiki/images/1/1b/Ro ... ._2013.pdf).

Now I am investigating the hydrodynamics induced by large arrays of those devices and therefore need something more efficient than if-loops to activate/localise my devices within my 3D domain.

I am thinking, developing an input file following the example of the station.in and/or float.in might sort me out. Do you guys think it is a sensible approach.

-T-

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

You could do it that way or you could make a 3-D NetCDF field to read in, which ever you think is better. I've added 2-D fields to the grid file, but you could make a new file to read from a new input routine. Whatever you think makes the most sense.