problem with boundary!

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

safoora.seddigh

problem with boundary!

#1 Unread post by safoora.seddigh »

Hello all,
Thanks a lot for all your helps.
I think I could solve my problem with bathymetry but I have a question on the boundaries.
I have attached two figures for setting the boundaries of the region that I am working on.
Which method is better or correct for selecting the boundary?
There is another question on the modelling steps. Actually, what is the next step in modelling? I do know that I have several forcing in the region including wind, evaporation, tidal forces. Would you please give me an advice about where I could find the method for preparing these input files? I tried to find them in the forum, but I did not find a straight forward and clear method for them.

Best regards,
Safoura
Attachments
Screenshot-3.png
Screenshot-2.png

kate

Re: problem with boundary!

#2 Unread post by kate »

There are problems with both of your sample grids. The first is clearly not orthogonal. You need to compile the mex files for Seagrid for it to make orthogonal grids from non-rectangular domains. Also, you can help it by providing 90 degree angles at the corners. The second is at least orthogonal, though it has more land points than you might want.

Then come the oceanographic constraints. You probably want to include the top of the gulf so ask Seagrid for more room to play with a larger range of latitude, longitude. As for the bottom of the gulf, what flows are there from the Indian ocean? Where does it make sense to place a boundary? I would probably try for a boundary that's perpendicular to the walls for the best tidal forcing, not knowing what the other currents are doing. Perhaps a rotated rectangle?

For the forcings, check through the Matlab tools for ROMS. If that doesn't turn up anything, ask more specific questions, like how to use product X on grid Y for forcing.