Passive tracer simulation in ROMS

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

lanerolle

Passive tracer simulation in ROMS

#1 Unread post by lanerolle »

I noticed that if we are to do a passive tracer simulation with ROMS and we wish to use ANA_BPFLUX and ANA_SPFLUX (bottom and surface passive tracer flux prescriptions which are necessary to close the discrete model equations), these CPP options are nested within:

# if defined SEDIMENT || defined BIOLOGY
# endif

So if we wish to do a passive tracer simulation without doing BIOLOGY or SEDIMENT - for example, a contaminant/oil spill in the middle of the ocean or a river discharge (e.g. soil phosphate/nitrate from fertilizer washed out due to heavy rains, etc.) or an atmospheric deposition (e.g. contaminant particles settling on to the ocean surface from the air, etc.), how do we do such a simulation where we need to specify ANA_BPFLUX and ANA_SPFLUX?

lanerolle

Re: Passive tracer simulation in ROMS

#2 Unread post by lanerolle »

Sorry, I forgot to add, could we then simply change:

# if defined SEDIMENT || defined BIOLOGY
# endif

to

# if defined SEDIMENT || defined BIOLOGY || T_PASSIVE
# endif

arango
Site Admin

Re: Passive tracer simulation in ROMS

#3 Unread post by arango »

Yes, good catch. This is not a problem if not net surface and bottom fluxes of inert tracers, stflx(inert)=0 and btflx(inert)=0, since these arrays are initialized to zero when allocated. The problems comes when you want to process such fluxes from data or nonzero analytical functions. Notice that we need to correct both get_data.F, set_data.F, and their TLM, RPM, and ADM friends.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention :!: I corrected this problem. See the following :arrow: trac ticket for details.