How to make the Tname_xadv and Tname_yadv work?

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

cathyyangfeng

How to make the Tname_xadv and Tname_yadv work?

#1 Unread post by cathyyangfeng »

I installed new version of ROMS today to seperate the Tracer advection term in x and y direction (before only had Tname_hadv Tname_vadv). I opened the Diagnostic_TS in .h file, but it not worked. I

Is there anyone can help with this problem?

arango
Site Admin

Re: How to make the Tname_xadv and Tname_yadv work?

#2 Unread post by arango »

The diagnostics terms for the tracer equations is activated by turning on the C-preprocessing option DIAGNOSTICS_TS in the application header file and by setting the Dout logical switch in ROMS standard input. Similarly, you activate DIAGNOSTICS_UV for the terms in the momentum equations. It is that simple :!:

By the way, all the C-preprocessing options in ROMS are uppercase. I have noticed that some users are less diligent in checking ROMS standard output information, which should be redirected to a file, or checking the C-preprocessed *.f90 files in the Build sub-directory to see if the needed piece of code was activated. I have been doing this for years, every time that I run ROMS and strongly recommend the users to do this every time.

:idea: :idea: :idea: Users need to be industrious and try to help themselves before posting in this forum a do not work message with very little information. We tend to ignore such messages. This is a scientific forum and not twitter with few incomplete words. I highly recommend users to read the information in ROMS standard output before including the entire log here. Then, it becomes an exercise in reading and, in most cases, the answer to a particular problem or question is in the front of you. If the information in ROMS standard output is not clear enough, I encourage the users to suggest ways to improve such information. We need always to redirect that information to a file because none of us has the six million dollars bionic eyes to catch this information from the screen.

cathyyangfeng

#3 Unread post by cathyyangfeng »

Yes, I did open the Diagnostic_TS. and Dout in the .in file

It still worked in the old way, only the Tname_hadv and Tname_vadv are output.

I am still working on it now

mafeluna
Location: Institude of Marine and Coastal Science, Rutgers University

#4 Unread post by mafeluna »

Hi Cathy,

I have been outputting the xadv and yadv terms (for both tracer and momentum) since the first time this option was available in ROMS (I think since version 446) and I have never had the issue you are having. I am wondering if you updated the varinfo.dat file. If you varinfo.dat file is in your running directory you should copy it from the new version of ROMS or you just go to to your build.sh and redirect the file to where new version of ROMS has it.

I can not think of something else that is going wrong but it something else comes to my mind I will let you know.

Good luck!

cathyyangfeng

#5 Unread post by cathyyangfeng »

Thanks for this reminder, I checked the program carefully today and found I made a stupid mistake: I did not point to the right directory when I compiled the file.

Thanks for help!