pan-Arctic simulations

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

tasha

pan-Arctic simulations

#1 Unread post by tasha »

Has anyone used ROMS for a pan-Arctic simulation? If so, how was the North Pole handled?

Thank you, Tasha

kate

Re: pan-Arctic simulations

#2 Unread post by kate »

I used SCRUM to model the Arctic once... Paul Budgell has a domain covering the Arctic and parts of the North Atlantic. ROMS as a regional model runs on a logically rectangular grid. Imagine plopping a piece of paper down on a globe - it doesn't matter where, there is no pole problem.

What can be a bit tricky is interpolating fields onto the ROMS grid. Say you have bathymetry from 0.5 to 359.5, or from -179.9 to 179.9. If you aren't careful, there will be funkiness at the seam.

kate

#3 Unread post by kate »

What coordinate system is the forcing in? Is it one that ROMS should know how to deal with? Is ROMS not dealing with it correctly? You can ask ROMS to output the heat flux and the wind forcing - they should be smooth across the pole if everything is working right. I recently hacked the interpolation in my ROMS to work for Enrique's circumpolar grid in the Southern Ocean, but I didn't test it. I'll see about attaching my kludge...
Attachments
periodic_patch.txt
Kludge for globally periodic domains when using lat/lon forcing.
(3.4 KiB) Downloaded 249 times

asz178467

#4 Unread post by asz178467 »

kate wrote:I used SCRUM to model the Arctic once... Paul Budgell has a domain covering the Arctic and parts of the North Atlantic. ROMS as a regional model runs on a logically rectangular grid. Imagine plopping a piece of paper down on a globe - it doesn't matter where, there is no pole problem.

What can be a bit tricky is interpolating fields onto the ROMS grid. Say you have bathymetry from 0.5 to 359.5, or from -179.9 to 179.9. If you aren't careful, there will be funkiness at the seam.
Hello sir, Could you please elaborate regarding generating Arctic grid in Roms Model. As I'm new to this Modelling.

Thanks in Advance

kate

#5 Unread post by kate »

What do you want to know? I'm running a pan-Arctic domain now, which is described in the ROMS manual.

asz178467

#6 Unread post by asz178467 »

How to Create Grid for Arctic region?? How to define lat, lon by taking care of north pole in grid generation process??

kate

#7 Unread post by kate »

You want to be working in a polar stereographic projection so that there is no pole problem. The domain is roughly a rectangle over the pole. The curvilinear orthogonal grids are made in a flat geometry, so you need software that can do map projections and inverse map projections to get back to the latitudes and longitudes.

asz178467

#8 Unread post by asz178467 »

okay. Thank you for your reply.