Passive tracer in river forcing

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

susonic

Passive tracer in river forcing

#1 Unread post by susonic »

Dear ROMS users,

I'm driving a regional model with a river source included. I want to use a passive tracer in order to visualize more about the distribution of the river plume. At first, I was able to add passive tracer in my initail and also boundary condition file. The model ran well and the result was reasonable. Now I want to run with passive tracer in my river forcing file.
I have been searching for the answer with this question in ROMS forum, but I couldn't find a good one.
So, is there anoyone who can give a suggestion to me about 'add passive tracer in river forcing file' ?

Thanks in advance,

-Peter

kate

Re: Passive tracer in river forcing

#2 Unread post by kate »

It means we don't know off hand. What I would do is look at the river sources code and see what it is doing. There are flags for reading river T and S from the rivers file. Do they extend to other tracers? If not, maybe you could figure out how to make them do so, then let us know. This is the power of a community model!

abever

Re: Passive tracer in river forcing

#3 Unread post by abever »

The flags also extend to Sediment (flag=4), and I think potenially biology variables but I would have to go look in the code. The best thing to do is to look in the source code and see if there is a flag for a passive tracer. If not, it wasn't that difficult to add the sediment one you might be able to add a passive tracer flag also.

Questions about the flags seem to come up quite often. Can someone with wiki priveledges put a sample CDL file on the wiki with an explanation of what flags to use to specify (temp+salinity), (temp+salinity+sediment), (t+s+biology...)?