Segmentation Fault

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

rakeshthp

Segmentation Fault

#1 Unread post by rakeshthp »

Hello there...

I've installed matlab version of ROMS on my laptop. I'm running it in Mandriva Linux.. It's a 32-bit processor..

I've successfully installed it but when i run make_grid command, some times it runs successfully, but sometimes it gives me segmentation fault error and Matlab quits.

What may be the problem..??

Thanks in advance..

Regards

kate

Re: Segmentation Fault

#2 Unread post by kate »

This isn't really ROMS discussion so much as Matlab discussion, or perhaps Unix discussion. Anyway, a segmentation fault is an error in how memory is accessed, causing the operating system to kill off your badly-behaved program. Your program was trying to access memory that doesn't belong to it. One way to get a seg fault is to call a function with two parameters when the function is expecting to read three parameters. It can also happen when you try to access more than 2 GB of memory from a 32-bit application.

rakeshthp

#3 Unread post by rakeshthp »

Well, thanks kate for that information..

I would be grateful to you if you would let me know some solution to get rid of this problem...

Thanks once again...

Regards
Rakesh Patil

staalstrom

#4 Unread post by staalstrom »

Hei
I dont know much about memory and computer architecture.
All I know is that I run my ROMS applications on a Linux machine with Red Hat 9 that is siting somewhere in the basement.
I always get a segmentation fault if I dont write

ulimit -s unlimited

Andre Staalstrom

kate

#5 Unread post by kate »

Yes, you can get a seg fault if you overrun your limits. Some systems have a ridiculously small default stack size limit.

rakeshthp

#6 Unread post by rakeshthp »

HI ....

Where do you write that ulimit -s unlimited..??? in matlab or before running roms..???

Thanks
Regards

kate

#7 Unread post by kate »

Before running matlab. It depends on what shell you are running - bash and others have ulimit built into the shell while the csh/tcsh family has limit built in.

rakeshthp

#8 Unread post by rakeshthp »

Thanks a lot.......

One more problem is that tcsh command is not working... What have to do for that.....???

Regards..

m.hadfield

#9 Unread post by m.hadfield »

rakeshthp wrote:Thanks a lot.......

One more problem is that tcsh command is not working... What have to do for that.....???

Regards..
It's not clear what you mean by that. Are you saying you have no tcsh shell? That shouldn't be a problem. (Neither do I.) If it is a problem, this is not the right place to ask for help in solving it.