Summer projects in Zanzibar

Look here for job postings within the Modeling community.

Moderators: arango, robertson

jtheiss

Summer projects in Zanzibar

#1 Unread post by jtheiss »

Dear all,

-------------------------------------------
SUMMARY: If my recent proposal to the National Science Foundation (NSF) is funded, I will be able to give undergraduate and graduate students at U.S. institutions the opportunity to spend three months at the Institute of Marine Sciences in Zanzibar, Tanzania in the summers of 2008, 2009, and 2010, where they would be a part of an international collaborative project to continue developing and studying a ROMS application of the Zanzibar Channel. This email is to ask those generally interested in this opportunity to contact me.
-------------------------------------------

Although I might not know before mid March whether or not my recent proposal to NSF will be funded, I would like to ask you now to contact me in case you are generally interested in the above opportunity. This would give us more time to correspond about the project and if you are an eligible student I could add you to the list of potential candidates from which I would select the participants as soon as NSF reaches a decision.

The one-page summary of my proposal to NSF can be found at:
http://www.theissresearch.org/zanzibar/ ... ummary.pdf

The proposal to NSF is based on a previous project carried out in the summer of 2007. Information on this previous project can be found at:
http://www.theissresearch.org/zanzibar/

The opportunity would be open to all undergraduate and graduate students at U.S. institutions. In particular, however, the following U.S. institutions have expressed in official support letters submitted together with my proposal that they would encourage their students to participate:

* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (James Yoder, Vice President for Academic Programs and Dean)
* Oregon State University, COAS Office of Student Programs (Lori Hartline)
* Hampton University, Center for Marine and Coastal Environmental Studies (Benjamin Cuker)
* University of Washington, School of Oceanography (Russell McDuff, Director)
* University of Miami, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (Larry Peterson, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs)

Concerning the project in Zanzibar I have also established good relations to colleagues at the following U.S. institutions: Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Texas at Austin, Pennsylvania State University, Rutgers University, and UCLA.

Please do not hesitate to contact me (j.theiss@theissresearch.org) and I am looking forward to your response.

All the best,

Jurgen