Post-doctoral position in regional ocean modeling at Hawaii

Look here for job postings within the Modeling community.

Moderators: arango, robertson

rkelvin

Post-doctoral position in regional ocean modeling at Hawaii

#1 Unread post by rkelvin »

Post-doctoral position in regional ocean modeling

The School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology (SOEST) at the University of Hawai`i is accepting applications for a post-doctoral researcher in support of the development of the Hawai`i Pacific Ocean Observing and Information System (Hi-POOIS). Hi-POOIS is a regional component of the Integration Ocean Observing System (IOOS) centered on Hawai`i. An initial focus will be to provide nowcasts of the ocean state near the island of Oahu. Data from a variety of in-situ observations will be integrated using a high-resolution, near-shore, data-assimilating model. The successful candidate will join a team of scientists in developing a suite of such models for near real-time estimates of circulation around Oahu.

A PhD degree in oceanography or a related field is required. The successful applicant will have a research background in high-resolution ocean modeling and should be familiar with programming for UNIX/Linux clusters. Experience with near real-time, high-resolution ocean modeling/data assimilation is highly desirable. Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential.

The initial appointment will be for 1 year period, with a possibility for extension of 2 years depending on satisfactory performance and availability of funding. Salary is commensurate with qualification and experience. Qualified candidates should submit application materials to Prof. Kelvin Richards, IPRC, School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology, 1680 East West Road, University of Hawai`i, Honolulu, HI 96822; email: rkelvin@hawaii.edu. Required materials include a cover letter containing contact address, complete curriculum vitae, statement of research interests, and names and contact information for three references. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.

The University of Hawai`i is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, veteran status, or disability. Applications from women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged.