...time for another ROMS European Workshop?

Discussion about Ocean Modeling Communities Meetings, Workshops and Events.

Moderators: arango, robertson

carniel

...time for another ROMS European Workshop?

#1 Unread post by carniel »

Dear all,

After several years from the last one, I feel the need to set up another "European" ROMS workshops. I think times are ripe for another meeting, and I wish to share with all of you the idea to think about its organization, if possible and not conflicting with other initiatives, of course.

I would therefore appreciate to open a short discussion on this side on the Forum, also in the perspective of these more specific points:

a) ROMS has been widely used and adopted in several European countries in the last years. Including several EU funded Projects. The situation has changed quite a bit since the early and pioneering workshop of 2004!
b) without necessarily driving this into Venice, me and other colleagues within CNR-ISMAR are available to carry out a significant part of the load in the organization.
c) We may also think about starting the good habit to publish (selected) contributions from the Workshop in a Special Issue of an international journal (albeit with no or low impact factor). I have already established contacts in this directions.

This would surely increase the interest in the participation, as well as the budget justification.

All the best,

Sandro

arango
Site Admin

Re: ...time for another ROMS European Workshop?

#2 Unread post by arango »

The ROMS community has grown substantially all over the world and we are trying to accommodate such growth. The last European workshop was in Grenoble, France, in 2008. Since then we had a workshop in Sydney, Australia, in 2009 and Honolulu, Hawaii in 2010. We also tutorials in Santa Cruz, CA (2010, 4D-Var) and Hong Kong (2011, ROMS for beginners).

We eventually will go back to Europe... We are already planning for the next workshop in the fall (2012) in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil). We have been planning this for couple of months now. We will send the announcements when we have all the relevant information. The user community in South America has grown nicely, specially in Brazil. They have been waiting for a ROMS workshop in Brazil for about three years.

We are also considering to have our second 4D-Var tutorial (a week long) on 2012. We will determine the place and date later...

Thank you for your interest :D