specifiying usage of input netcdf files

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

loric

specifiying usage of input netcdf files

#1 Unread post by loric »

Hi,

I'm new to ROMS and I'm still trying to find my way through the code. I had some trouble compiling initially, but thanks to help from these forums, I'm past that. I've also been able to run some of the test cases successfully. Now, I'm planning to run my own application.

Now, if there were input files, like the grid or forcing, I know they should be in netcdf format. However, what if you don't have any input netcdf files, for the grid for example? I can't seem to find that part of the code where you can "switch-on" the usage of an input netcdf grid file. I've tried looking in cppdefs.h, ocean_*.in, and the mod_param.F files, and I could not seem to find anything that accomplishes this. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Loric

jcwarner

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

The model wants to look for netcdf files.

However, if you specify
#define ANA_GRID
then the model will not look for netcdf files and use the analytical functional.

If you want to use a netcdf grid, you should
#undef ANA_GRID
or
not even have that line in your *.h file.

loric

#3 Unread post by loric »

Thanks for directing me to this. It was a big help. Hmmm, now I'm trying to run the test cases with actual netcdf file inputs. In particular, I'm trying to run the Weddell Sea and Adriatic Sea test cases. However, the input netcdf files are missing. Do these have to be downloaded elsewhere? But I'll try looking into the directories, just in case I'm not looking hard enough.

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

Your best bet would be to find out who set them up originally and to contact those people. Some of these cases are included in the standard ROMS so you can see some examples of setting up the cpp switches for realistic applications, not so that you can actually run them yourself.

loric

#5 Unread post by loric »

I see. Thanks Kate, this helps clarify things. I've a lot to learn it seems, but I'll get there.