use ROMS in global

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

bru

use ROMS in global

#1 Unread post by bru »

First of all, I'm a new ROMS user, and also beginner in modeling ... I have a few questions concerning running the model in global.

I was wondering how to set the open boundaries ... I guess I have to define all 4 boundaries open, but i'm not sure about that.

Moreover, it is said that the interpolation procedure does not handle grids that cross the greenwich meridian (grids should start after 0.5°E and stop before 0.5°W) .. so how can you define the global grid ? lonmin=-160 lonmax=160 without crossing 0° ????

I was also wondering about the zref parameter. This parameter defines the depth of no motion for geostrophic calculation. Can anyone tell me how to set this parameter correctly? In global?

Finally, I have a question concerning wind input.
Many wind sources exist : COADS, COAMPS, QuikSCAT, NCEP/NCAR ... models, satellites, observation in situ ...
Some people use COADS data set to force the model with wind input and surface fluxes.
But COADS derives from observations and monthly statistics, right?
So, if I need to get real-time results, is COADS appropriate? Shouldn't I use QuikSCAT rather than COADS?

Hope someone will enlighten me ...
thanks
bruno