ROMS and other hydrodynamic models

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

lcbernardo

ROMS and other hydrodynamic models

#1 Unread post by lcbernardo »

Hi everyone,

I think this is a very basic question for many users, but it's been on my mind for quite some time now and I've yet to find a satisfactory answer for my better understanding. I have been using Delft3D to run hydrodynamic simulations for several years now and have been able to have some relative success in terms of setting up and running models for selected coastal sites. And in that time, I got used to setting up runs using the Delft3D modelling system, becoming quite familiar with the formats and tools. My present research focus now however has led me to run the ROMS model, and though I have been able to run some test cases successfully and even a simplified run for my domain of interest, I continue to find myself confused regarding the numerous details involved with setting up the model.

I'm continuing to work through it and slowly I've been able to iron out some of the details. But I think I'd be more motivated if I could understand the bigger picture. As far as I understand (and I definitely could be wrong), ROMS is a primitive equation ocean model, while Delft3D-FLOW computes the flow using the shallow water approximation. If this is truly the case, would it serve me better then to use a model like Delft3D when modeling coastal areas, and then use ROMS if my domain extends further out to the ocean? From the acronym, ROMS is a "Regional" ocean modeling system, but regional can be relative, and it is my impression that some of the latest developments with the ROMS model may allow it to be run for even finer grids. If this is the case then, is there any clear strategy in deciding which model to use for a particular situation? Like everyone, I just want to use the right tool for the task at hand, and I want to be able to use the ROMS model in the way it was designed to be used.

Best regards,
Lawrence

janeshdev

Re: ROMS and other hydrodynamic models

#2 Unread post by janeshdev »

Hi not sure if it is too late to suggest using EFDC model. Since you have a lot of expertise on DELFT model, please look at EFDC model. As it is quite popular model approved by EPA and has applications in estuary, lakes, rivers, oceans etc. There is a software called EFDC_Explorer which allows you to pre and post process the models. You can run the models in finer and coarser resolutions without any problem. You can also avail of the latest OpenMP integration in EFDC DSI version that can be found here http://www.efdc-explorer.com/ . I have been an EFDC user for more than 6 years now and have been doing all kinds of studies from power plant studies, estuaries and rivers.

I hope it helps.