climate

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

redhat007

climate

#1 Unread post by redhat007 »

dear all
i am trying to make climatology and initial condition on Caspian sea region. For this different database(ecmwf, woa2009, etc) and approach (roms-agrif or Matlab subdirectory of roms, etc) have been checked. Because of variety data and approach, i need some one who have done modeling in Caspian sea region help me with her/his valuable experience (if it is possible).
With regard your experience which data source and which way give the best result in Caspian sea region.
Thanks so much for your attention
redhat

Pysh

Re: climate

#2 Unread post by Pysh »

Hello

In the Russian Hydrometcenter attempts modeling Caspian Sea. For forcing (with bulk-formula) we use GFS data (Global Forecast System, http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/products/gfs/#GFS ), for river runoff (Volga, Kura, Ural) data from Russian sources (Государственный водный кадастр, 1980-1987, Ресурсы поверхностных вод СССР, 1966). Initial values – some unpublished Hydrometcenter data. SST nudging act on the basis of satellite measurements of AVHRR (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/res ... iddata.php). For modeling we use ROMS branch of Kate Hedstrom (with ice model of David Robertson). Some problems: very shallow North Caspian, the absence in ROMS total volume balance (including input/output on the upper surface). For first problem may be it will be useful 2 connected grids for North Caspian and other region, the second problem is solved now due to adjustment of Zeta values in the file of restart in successive calculation for sufficiently small time interval (for day, for example). Certainly in this case there is a problem of the inaccuracy of dynamic reconstruction after restarting

By

redhat007

#3 Unread post by redhat007 »

Dear Pysh
many thanks for your information. i will try them in preparing steps. it seems that you suggest Matlab routines of roms model not using roms agrif? is not it?
also i become appreciate if you let me to contact you again.
if it is possible for you please give me another way for contacting with you.
cheers
redhat

Pysh

#4 Unread post by Pysh »

Dear redhat007

We don't use agrif, because of absence ice model. Russia is cold country :wink: , all seas near Russia (North Caspian also) covered with ice in winter. Some of seas - year round :( . For data preparing (from raw GFS data) we use wgrib2 and our fortran utility.

You can contact with me by email (bsstr@mail.ru). It is interesting for me to discuss Caspian model. We calculate it in operational regime, but now in the testing mode (other data can be viewed, but in Russian only at http://hmc.meteorf.ru/sea/). It's a pity, there are not enough data to control ROMS results for Caspian.

Happy New Year

redhat007

#5 Unread post by redhat007 »

Dear Pysh
many many thanks for your email address. :D
i will contact you in future.
happy new year
redhat