How to build ROMS grid which is across the Pacific Ocean?

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

qianfangcui
Location: State Key Laboratory of Satellite Ocean Environment Dynamics

How to build ROMS grid which is across the Pacific Ocean?

#1 Unread post by qianfangcui »

We know the Pacific Ocean pass through the 180° longitude,so how to set the longitude which is from East to West?

kate

Re: How to build ROMS grid which is across the Pacific Ocean

#2 Unread post by kate »

Perhaps you can shift things so that your longitudes go from 0 to 360? That puts the trouble in the Atlantic side. Which phase exactly are you having trouble with?

For ROMS interpolating from global forcing files, I added a small hack to my ROMS branch for the Arctic ocean so that all longitudes are possible.

qianfangcui
Location: State Key Laboratory of Satellite Ocean Environment Dynamics

#3 Unread post by qianfangcui »

kate wrote:Perhaps you can shift things so that your longitudes go from 0 to 360? That puts the trouble in the Atlantic side. Which phase exactly are you having trouble with?

For ROMS interpolating from global forcing files, I added a small hack to my ROMS branch for the Arctic ocean so that all longitudes are possible.
Thanks!
Firstly,I selected my domain which is from 98 degrees east longitude to -71 degree west longitude,so I used pyroms to build grid that longitudes go from 98 to 289,is it available?
And secondly, for forcing files I used RNT codes, it is in trouble,the error is“matrix dimension must agree”,I have not solve it.Before built forcing files,I corrected the longitude from -262 to -71 in order to agree with the LevitusTS_monthly data.Is it right?

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

Yes, build a grid in some sensible way. Then, if you need to interpolate a field that has a different longitude range you can shift your grid to match that. I don't recall the longitude range of Levitus, but if you have something that goes -180 to +180, that's fine. It's OK for your grid to have a longitude jump in it - points at -179 will interpolate at one end, points at 179 will interpolate at the other end.